worried it might be important

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Saltyfishluver, Oct 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Saltyfishluver

Saltyfishluver Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

my toadstool has been in our reef tank for about 5 months and as of this morning he is sucked up and smooth as a baby's bottom. I dont know why all of a sudden it is happening
    nitrates are at 5, phosphate is 0.25, calcium higher than 500, alkalinity was 6. i have not changed the flow rat around him. the only thing thats change is that Martha my pistol shrimp moved some sand around the toadstool but hasnt seem to bother him before. thanks for any help :)

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

It could be shedding, but keep an eye on it. If there is an area of severe discolouration and the flesh in the area is soft and crumbly is it rotting.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

This is completely normal for Toadstools. Mine sometimes closes for a week or more. Like John says keep an eye on it for discoloration and rotting but like I said it is normal for them to close up once in a while.Make sure it is getting decent flow for when it does shed to help blow off the dead tissue.;)

1 person likes this.
  5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+2

FWIW, most soft corals close up and shed.

6. Saltyfishluver

Saltyfishluver Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

thanks everyone i was really worried about him he is my favorite coral. he is fleshy and looks good other than not being open . no crumbling at all :) i will watch for that