worried about my clown! :(

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Chance, Jun 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jesmontb

jesmontb Flamingo Tongue

clowns are known for odd behaviors, especially ones that are attempting to go through the process of finding a home for themselves within your tank.
    If an anemone is not present, they will go through a number of stages in order to try to find a suitable home, more often than not the first of this being the sandbed, they will lay sideways and slowly move the sand as yours is doing, almost creating a little bed for them to sleep in. mine has done this in the past, then they will go through your different corals to see if any of them are suitable.
    for instance mine tried to host a red monti for a while which was actually kind of funny to watch but didnt not work too well haha.
    and now they have both moved in with my duncans colony, which i actually love because it really looks great with them in my large duncans colony, and even the duncan has gotten used to them and no longer closes when they are present.

2. Click Here!

3. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

I woke up this morning to check on them, and the male was floating on his side above the PH. SCARED ME!Then he just swam away like nothing happened. GRR! Silly fish.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
  4. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

hahaha we all go through that mini heart attack.

5. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

When I first got my clowns they did the surface thing... Freaked me out it did! Since then I've come to learn that clowns are the strangest fish in the sea... They Love to cause mini heart attacks to owners and they LOVE to do stupid things... As far as a clown pushing around your sand bed this is normal. My clown has been doing it for more than 6 months the male hides in a cave and sleeps vertically and she sleeps on the sand bed in the divot she's created for herself. If some of my hermit crabs happen upon her dug out space she will readily aggress upon them often flipping them over, hound them for several moments before swimming off letting them be on their way...

So long as the clown isn't showing the signs of distress, is eating well, and looks generally clown like happy. I wouldn't worry about them, their fairly hardy and as said before they love to give you more problems than are actually afflicting them.

6. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

It appears that they have chosen a host! Sadly, it's my powerhead. -_-