worms in my substrate

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by freshtosalt, Apr 15, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

It is most lilkley just a polychate (spelling?) worm. Very few prey on corals ans those that do usually die off during the curing process. You would certainly be doing more damage removing them than they would if they are left to be.

2. Click Here!

3. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I wouldn't worry about the worms unless they reach the 12" size. They help break up the substrate and clean out a lot of ditritus. I have had one incident where one got into an altercation with my Blenny and loaded him up with a faceful of bristles . But it did not affect him and the bristles dissolved after a couple of days.

Drew

4. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

I found a worm in my pre filter in my overflow box, along with some amphipods! I'll try to photo the worm later today. Question: Are sand dollars good for the reef aquarium? If so, how many and how big do they get??? Got a guy in Florida that says he has some for sale... Thanks

Roger

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I don't know if sand dollars fare very well in our systems....I don't know of anyone who has one.

Calfo indicates in his book "Reef Invertebrates" that few survive a year in captivity and most only months, due to the fact that they need huge areas of sand from which to gather food.;)

6. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

O.K. the worms are fine. I only caught 1 bristle worm and it was only about 4" long... New Question:

My mandarin gobies have been doing well in the hospital tank, until now. I have noticed that they are thinning out, too the point that they look sickly. what can I feed them to boost their size back to normal??? I don't want them to starve to death

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

If you can trap some pods from your main tank, that would be perfect....

Will they eat frozen mysis shrimp? Next try live brine shrimp if the 2 previous things don't work. ;)

8. Click Here!

9. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

They have been eating frozen brine shrimp since I had to set up the hospital tank in February, however, they have obviously lost their appetite for them. Everytime I clean the filters in my main tank, I collect amphipods and put them in the hospital tank. I was told to try Cyclopeeze. I have not seen the gobies eat any of it though. I use garlic when I feed the nospital tank. What else could I try???

10. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

For the mandarin Dragonet, They need a min of 65 lbs live rock each, most only eat live copepods. Most starve with in 6 mos. A refugium with a micro alge ( I cant remember what it is called but I will find out)and copepod additions is the only way to insure survival Also try seapods.com here In the store a bottle will cost $20. good luck

11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

man, sand dollars would be awsome to have, ur right though u would need a very very very very...100 years later... v...e...r...y large Tank. :)