WORM IN ROCk ???? HELP

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nemo79, Jul 12, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

I Noticed Something In My Rock, My Husband Saw It Come Out Of The Rock Partially And Says It Looks Like A Beige White Worm. I'm Not Sure What It Could Be, Any Suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

Bristle, leave it in there they are good IMHO!

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Could be a peanut or medusa, or Bristle either way they are good for the tank

J

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Really, most worms(polychaetes) are beneficial for a salt tank regardless of how many people think Bristle worms(spionid-hair) are very bad for a tank, especially a reek tank. Bristle worms are good as most other sand sifters and scavengers/detrivores! The only reason they may be bad is if you offer them too much food causing them to reproduce to unhealthy levels.
    Really the only bad worms are fire(bristle worms/ hermodice) as they will fed on corals and inverts and will also kill fish resting at night after the lights go off and they can get pretty big. They also carry toxins in their hairs/bristles which can offer you a very painful sting if you touch one.
    It is probably a Terebellid worm(spaghetti or medusa) though.
    I don't believe it to be a fan worm>their are two different forms of them(sabellid which form soft-tubes, and serpulid which, you guessed it, form hard-tubes).

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I have a small medusa cucumber. His body is entirely covered with sand particles, pretty neat guy.

7. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Well It Was Late At Night When It Came Partially Out Of The Rock So I Didn't See It. What's Weird Is That My Hubby Said It Looked Like The End Opened And A Long (tongue Like) Thing Went Way Over It's Body. I Can't Find Many Pics Of Worms So I Really Have No Idea. It Doesn't Seem To Have Hairs Or Legs.

8. Click Here!

9. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

If it took out a small crown of feather like tentacles from within it's body and scraped it alongside the rock or glass... peanut worm. Very common and harmless critter.

Does it look like this guy -> http://jwshelton.home.mchsi.com/salt3/peanut5.JPG

Here is another great source -> Worms

Scroll down to Sipunculids. ;D

10. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Thank You, Very Helpful Picks.