Woot new tank....FW!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Urban_s, Feb 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

I got a new TANK!!! Its a freshwater setup for now. I was at my friends house helping him move out and he asked me if I wanted his 55(stand, tank, hood, lights, heater, ext. But the catch is that it is my girlfriends. Its one of those its "hers" but I buy everything and do all the work. So its going to be an anglefish setup. I want to go with a planted tank also. I have 120watts(6500k bulbs) ready to go on. So far its got a UG/ Marineland 350 on the tank. The ug is coming off soon when I replace the gravel with sand. I am also going to be adding a wet dry. But lol fresh water planted tanks are totaly new to me. Anyone have any tips?
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

There are some good books on freshwater plants and the best way to go about it. Some of the harder stuff needs co2 injected into them as well if you want to get all crazy. A big thing is not to stir up the gravel because that is where the plants get their nutrients from.
    I did pretty well on my old 46gal but kept getting ich and gave up to go to salt which was much easier :)

4. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

5. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

Thats what I have been hearing. I am not going to go totaly all out on it. Then probly sometime this summer I should have enough rock and will have my diy skimmer(for my 75) done, So I can set it up for salt.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Yeah, I have a tip...trash the freshwater and do another saltwater tank!!!!!!!hahhaha
    Even if you went with Africans!!!
    I know, it is your girlfriends! As far as plants are concerned, plants that have large, broad leaves are easier to take care of such as Banana plants whereas plants such as Cabomba are more difficult, I believe!
    Been awhile since I have had a fresh water planted tank!

7. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

Right now its a toss up weither to set up the 55 or my 40 breeder for salt in a couple months.

8. Click Here!

9. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

I had a plant tank for a bit, it's hard to find the right current to keep the gas exchange proper but still keep the plants "rooted" where you put them. After a lot of hard work I realized that the same equipment is needed for a salt setup so I ditched the plant tank.