Won't go away

Discussion in 'Algae' started by KOgle, Dec 3, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If you need a clean up crew ? Let mw no I'll help you out .. Being a friend of Otty and all..i put you a hand picked to fix you problem package.. But at least your algae is a simple garden variety type and easy to get rid of..But P.H and higher carbonates is the key long term Otty know's how to reach me

2. Click Here!

3. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Thanks Tangster, I will be need to fortify the clean up crew again soon. I bought 100 Nassarus snails and 50 margarita's recently but I could only find about 20 or so of the nassarus snails last night when I fed. Of course the margaritas fall off the rocks and can't flip themselves back over so I'd be suprised to have 20 of those left at this point.

I'll let you or Otty know when I want to do that. Maybe when he gets some more fish or corals from you???

4. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

It's been a while since I've posted about my algae infestation. I've got a grim update. My nitrates are at less than 5. I'd call them 0 but there was a slight color change. My Po4's are defintely at 0. I actually took about a third of the rock out and scrubbed it clean and guess what. Algae has grown right back. It's a darker brown now than it's ever been but that doesn't seem to be slowing down the growth. I'm really at my wits end here.

Tangster my next plan of action is going to be having you price me a clean up crew. I'm desperate at this point and the tank looks so bad I've thought about tearing it down more than once...

I just don't understand how the algae could still be growing without food.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I apologize if this has already been asked but are you testing your r.o. water for nitrates, phosphates, etc?

6. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I am not but if the RO water did have nitrates or phosphates wouldn't it show up in the tank? Forgive my dumbness...

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It could very well be that your algae is sucking up the nitrates and phosphates so that when you test your water, you're getting a "0" or close to "0" reading. Go ahead and test your r.o. water and see if that's where your problem lies :)

8. Click Here!

9. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Will do tonight and let you know how it goes...

10. argan

argan Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

How are the sea hares?

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Well? :D

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

And the answer is.....?