Won't go away

Discussion in 'Algae' started by KOgle, Dec 3, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I tried to get a good picture of this stuff last night but it won't stay still in the current. I'm 100% positive it's hair algae though. It just bums me out my water is checking out good and this crap won't go away. I thought about shutting my lights off for a while but i'd definitely loose my already stressed SPS corals. Otty and I were talking about taking all of the rock out we could get out and nuking it but I'm afraid it would wreak havoc on my water chemistry.

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If its hair algae just Get the P.H up to high 8's I use Arm and Hammer Laundry washing Soda.. About 3 Tbl spoons mixed in a large cup of water and just pour it in and keep the P.H elevated like thay for a few weeks And hit it on two fronts won't hurt But get some Kent's Tech M magnesium and use that to keep the Mag up and stable at 15 to 1600 PPM for the two weeks also. You have a denitrater coil ? Might want to add one also..

4. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Thanks Tangster, I'll definitely look into the ph and mg this evening and see if I can get that raising. Will Epsom salt work to raise the mg they way you are talking?

I don't run a denitrater coil becasue the fuge keeps the nitrates at 0.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

So does a gallon of bleach :)

6. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I'm posting updates to this in my tank thread. There's a link in my signature below...

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I don't see a signature or a link?

8. Click Here!

9. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I don't know why it didn't show up. :mad: If you scroll up to one of my previous posts in this thread it's showing up. ;D

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Oh yea! 8)

11. njdevilsfan

njdevilsfan Flamingo Tongue

you need to buy 50 mexican turbo snails
    for 3 weeks your problems will be solved

or you could buy a bali seahare but once he eats all your hair alge he will die so you will need to find someone to pass him on to

12. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I've skipped the turbo's on purpose becasue they tend to knock things over. I did add 3 small seahares. One died right away (think he was dead on the way home from being pryed off the glass at the store) and the other two are eating like kings and queens. ;D