Wondering which clownfish to get.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by saltscrub, Jun 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Fancy ocellaris are different. They have orange mixed in.

2. Click Here!

3. saltscrub

saltscrub Bristle Worm

fancy clowns are pretty expensive... Well the white ones at least. As I said earlier, I am looking at spending 20$ per fish at max.

4. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

its pretty obvious what one to get.... the funniest one! duhhh

5. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Then your only options are Regular Percula or ocellaris or if you can find one a B/W. Fancy clowns shouldn't cost more than $50, Fancy White clownfish are $80+ each.

6. Stearman

Stearman Plankton

'A. Ocellaris' /false perculas/ Common clowns are what i would suggest. Get a pair of them too as the enjoy interaction and are fun to watch.

I suggest them because they are most accessible as they are easily bred in captivity and you can therefore buy hardier fish, which are more resiliant to tank induced illnesses.

They also dont grow too fast or too big and are a perfect starter specie.

Some clowns like the maroons for example are wild caught and though beautiful fish its unethical and they may not survive especially if your just starting to venture into the aquarium world.

They really are characters and a joy to keep,
    Best of luck ;D

7. onlyonelikeme

onlyonelikeme Banned

I would go with Black Oci's if you can find them cheap they look alot better imo over the classic nemo ones but thats just my opinion

8. Click Here!

9. oBEA5To

oBEA5To Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I bought a maroon clown for $12 bucks and a False perc for $10 as my starter fish in my reef tank and although people say not to mix them since maroons are agressive they actually paired very nicely and the false perc is only agressive towards me :p bites the webbing between the fingers everytime my hand is in the tank and they both share a same hole in a rock for sleeping and never leave each others side. Clowns are genreally easy fish well for my anyways so i say false perc or a maroon but if you get the maroon get it when it is really small and be sure to add that one last

10. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

i have a black and white clown and a picasso clown and its cool to see them together, so different but so much alike. just a thought

11. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

I have an orange false perc clown and a black and white clown. Hopefully they'll breed some day... The black and white was added last and since the orange was left alone for a month or more I'm sure it's female. From what others have said the male's color and pattern is the one that is transferred to most of the fry! so YAY!

EDIT: I got my black and white when it was a juvenile for $30

12. dellyjoe

dellyjoe Teardrop Maxima Clam

i hate T clown but they look cool, i love ocellairs and i think you should get a pair of them.