withering toadstool leather

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jlcable, Apr 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jlcable

jlcable Plankton

Hey, i just bouht a toadstool leather on friday and yeasterday it looked shrunken and the tentacles were kind of blaken. water level are fine including nitrates and salinity. i have no idea whats going on........

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

How much flow do you have it in? Mine likes a decent amount of flow over the top or it doesn't open properly.

4. jlcable

jlcable Plankton

well i have a 14 gallon bio cube and i have it sitting up near wear the water comes out from the filter. I changed my filter cartridge yesterday hoping it wasn't nitrates and i just tested it again and they are very low. i thought it might have been a lighting problem cause some websites say they like medium to high light so thats why he is up high in the tank cause i just have the stock fluorescents.

5. kss2801

Maybe it's still getting used to the tank.
    Does the flow move the polyps around? I'm not at all familiar with biocubes, do you have any other flow than the filter output?

6. jlcable

jlcable Plankton

its all built in. so there are no over flows per say. on the right there are two intakes one high and one low. than on the left it just has a pipe come out that they put a direction flow piece one so i have it turn all the way next to him and moves the tenticales a little they seem to have gotten kind of stiff. I guess i could move him to the sand and move the flow directly on him?

7. jlcable

jlcable Plankton

also to add i did add some phytoplex which is made by kent marine which is just phytoplankton so it had some food in the tank? should i be using something else

8. Click Here!

9. kss2801

You don't need to feed toadstools they get their food from the light. You could try placing lower down but do not put the flow directly on it. Corals like random flow, not direct. If you could get the flow to hit the glass first or rock or something to disperse it a bit, that would be better.
    Try not to move it around and interfere with it too much, this will cause more harm than good.

10. jlcable

jlcable Plankton

thanks unfortunately i have had to move him a lot yesterday because i found some aiptasia in my tank.......... and there was so much that i had to take care of it. i read a lot of people try fish and invertebrates and don't have a whole lot of luck and i didn't want to use chemical so i did the next best thing and boiled the rocks that they where on. but i was having the issues with the leather before hand. but thank you for your advice i appreciate it.

11. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

if u just got the toadstool then its prolly about to shed its skin..when they do this they usually shrink and change colors..they like decently high flow..the high flow also speeds up their shedding cycle...as long as your water params are up to par then you will be fine..

12. jlcable

jlcable Plankton

How long does the shedding process take?