"Wire Woes"

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by New2Reef, Mar 10, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. New2Reef

New2Reef Astrea Snail

Well,this isnt really much of a DIY project but more like a nice little way to tidy up the bowl of spagetti wire we may have hanging off and aroung our tanks. I dont beleive this will affect the current carried in the wires since they're usually touching at one point or another somewhere in the loop.
    Comments or complaints are welcome.
    N2R

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

That looks clean just make sure you put a drip loop at the bottom.
    Ever thought about a sump? thatll really clean up your display tank

4. New2Reef

New2Reef Astrea Snail

I have considered a sump...but I'd havta do an overflow box,because my tank isnt drilled for a sump...and Im not sure how I should do one and what equipment I'd need for 1...If I decide to,will it clean as effectively as a drilled unit and what will it exactly do for me.....
    I do have a drip loop on the bottom,I usta do this when I ran freashwater.
    Thanks
    N2R

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's nice until you need to remove something. ;D

Seriously though, you should take a cue from the Eclipse brand tanks at your local fish store. They have a thin black plastic pipe that runs down the back side of the tank (vertical) attached with some adhesive tape.

The length of the pipe is cut on one side, this allows it to bend and open up, allowing you to put your cords in it. When you need to remove something. It's not hard to get the cord through the slit.

hope that helps

;) :)

6. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

Easier way to do this, corner the tank, that way you don't see anything in the back unless the doors are open! I love my wire jungle!

Ok, i am lazy!

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

This is ok until you are wanting to clean one of the units.

The overflow box dose the exact same thing as a drill tank but it looks ugly.
    I have the overflow box type.
    You get more water volume with the sump, more aeration of the water, and a place to hide skimmers and heater and such. It is like a HOT filter but way bigger. You can section the sump and have a refugium in it which is a plus for all the little critters.

8. Click Here!

9. New2Reef

New2Reef Astrea Snail

I've had alot fresh H2O tanks b4,this is my 1st attempt at salt...what is a refuguim and it's purpose...I do have a 20g tank sitting under my stand now...
    So...I set up an overflow tank to feed water to the 20g and a pump to send it back? I can put my heater and my skimmer on the 20? I use a Prizm skimmer...will it work for the 20 as well?
    All the advice I can here is helpful.
    N2R

10. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

The twist won't effect Voltage but could generate heat and melt something Just because they touch once in a while in the "wire Jungle" doesn't generate as much heat and some devices draw more juice and the wire reacts differently. Also as stated Oops protein skimmer dies not much fun to pull apart. You can also use vinyl tubing cut down one side. The wires touching isn't the problem the braid is the problem. If I remember high school science well enough it can also lead to magnetic fields being built up and I know that is not good for any kind of windings in your pumps or filters.

11. New2Reef

New2Reef Astrea Snail

Makes sense....I was considering running down to the local NAPA and buying the black plastic split tubing.
    Being somewhat of a hotrod head I know for fact its a
    "NO NO" to have your plug wires rubbing...but an awful lot of volts runs through those. I was cleaning things up and I hate the ol wire jungle myself,thought the twist would be a little more pleasing on the eye do to the fact that tank is viewable fom both sides.Still workin on that sump tho.
    Thanks
    N2R