Wine with Fish: A question for Oeniphiles

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by GoToSleep, Jul 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

I heard a story about someone with an large, impressive reef tank who kept his sump/refugium in his wine cellar :eek:. From the tanks perspective, this was great because the cellar temperature of 57 deg F eliminated the need for a chiller even with three 400 W MH's running on the main tank.
    Has anyone ever heard of, seen, or set up anything like this?
    Lights for the fuge, noise & vibration from pumps and skimmers, and heat from the tank are all things that you try to avoid in a wine cellar, although the tanks might help keep the humidity up in the desired 50-70% range during the winter. Living in Virginia, I have no shortage of humidity during the summer.

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I have heard and seen pics of those who plumb through their floor. The thing to take into consideration is the distance the pump has to push the water back through the return. You need something a bit more powerful than the norm. If I had a choice, I would do it in a heartbeat. You could have an open area and easy access, as well as something larger than an under the cabinet set up. Have fun.