Windex Prevention

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by WhiskyTango, Mar 19, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Yea, good information, thanks. I pretty much know all of this, its just hard to pull the trigger on a custom fixture without seeing it first. Kessil, if you are listening, how about a controllable tuna Blue A150W......

I plan on keeping some ornamental macro and sea grass in the DT, so the 660 is important for me.

Out of cyan, green, yellow, and amber, which are the most important for pigmentation excitation?

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

QUOTE=WhiskyTango;1540584]Yea, good information, thanks. I pretty much know all of this, its just hard to pull the trigger on a custom fixture without seeing it first. Kessil, if you are listening, how about a controllable tuna Blue A150W......

I plan on keeping some ornamental macro and sea grass in the DT, so the 660 is important for me.

Out of cyan, green, yellow, and amber, which are the most important for pigmentation excitation?[/QUOTE]

For excitation of proteins, most coral respond to the violet/blue nm range.

cyan, with a 490-520 nm range, is important to achieving full spectrum and optimal color from your coral, not just fluorescence. There's a peak in the red area (minimal), but the whites should cover that for you.

Green is reflected by plants/coral etc. That's why leaves appear green to us.

Attached Files:

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

5. WhiskyTango

Right, so 3500k WW should do the trick for red?

How so? You don't feel a stand alone red diode is necessary because a warm white will cover the small red peak?

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

It overpowers everything else. Plus, I don't feel that adding just one will accomplish much.

7. WhiskyTango

Roger that.