will this work?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by artur, Dec 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

I'm upgrading my sump. Month ago I upgraded my tank from 90 to 125. Now it is time to upgrade sump. For last 5 years I used GenX external pumps and they newer failed me. But I'm tired of their noise. Now I will use submersibble pumps. Please let me know. The first picture is my actual set up. In case if internal pump fails and I will not be able to fix it right away or do not have money to buy new one do you think that pump will still work without drilling sump like I draw? It might be hard on her right? I'm talking in emergency but it might be like 1 month. What you guys think? Please let me know. My new sump will be glass tank 36x12x16 and I do not want to drill it if my pumps will be internal.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Assuming you have an ATO to make up for evaporation, it will work. But I don't know why you wouldn't just drill the tank instead.

4. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

[It will be glass sump and I do not want to drill and take chance when I do not plan to use that pump. I will use the Mag and it will be inside sump. This external will be just in emergency.QUOTE=Seano Hermano;1029686]Assuming you have an ATO to make up for evaporation, it will work. But I don't know why you wouldn't just drill the tank instead.[/QUOTE]

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I think it would work. The pump is made for external use, so what you drew looks like it's a good replacement for a broken in-sump pump.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the force of the water coming out of the hose. Like a fire hose, for example, it will push back. You would have to put something pretty heavy on the top of the tank, clamping that hose against the rim. If I understood correctly, you will only for a temporary solution, if your in-sump pump fails. Right?

6. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

Yes it is only in emergency situation.