will this work like Mrs. Wages?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ak47soulja22, Sep 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ak47soulja22

ak47soulja22 Flamingo Tongue

I searched up and down a the food market tonight trying to find Mrs. Wages pickling lime, but came up empty. I did pick up this though maybe thinking that it would work, but if not no harm it was 1.99. The brand is Morton, pickling salt, for cooking, canning, and pickling.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I was looking at that myself as I have a jar of Ms Wages and can not find it. This looks like it is a very high concentration of salt where the other is pickling lime, not salt

I know my LFS found Ms. Wages one day at Walmart for like a buck a piece. So maybe your local Walmart might have it

4. ak47soulja22

Sound good what kind of container dose it come in and near or what isle did you happen to find Mrs. Wages at Wal-Mart?

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

It is a tall green container. My LFS gave me the bottle but I have not gone and looked. I have gone online at Walmart and did not see it.....
    I know there is other stuff we can use, but I am not sure what..maybe others can post on here and say what people use instead of Kalk?

6. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Just to clarify, they are completely different like Schackmel said. Pickling salt is not pickling lime. The salt is just sodium chloride like regular table salt. You need calcium hydroxide which is pickling lime.
    Here is a cheap, good quality source.
    Bulk Reef Supply - Bulk Reef Supply

7. ak47soulja22

Yeah I buy some items from Bulk Reef once in a while i just came acoss the Mrs. Wages. I figured that the stuff i bought wasnt going to work but i thought I should ask before a disaster. Thank you both for chimming in on this. I plan on going to my local walmart and Meijier, and if I find it i will post where I got the product. Oh and I will post pictures of my tank since I got all the paramters down pat!!!!!!

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Well, it's not normally a buck a piece....that's the clearance price. The jar you have normally costs quite a bit more. Pickling lime is a seasonal item at most grocery stores during fall only. It's obviously used for making pickles at harvest time and it will be with canning supplies (if your store sells canning supplies). Some Walmarts don't carry it, some carry it seasonally and then put it on clearance, and some just keep it in storage for most of the year and put it on the shelves for a month or so.