Will this tank cycle?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by pez blanco, Jun 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pez blanco

pez blanco Fire Worm

I have just started a 29 gal nano tank for my seahorses. I moved about 70% of water from old tank into new tank. I used the live sand from old tank to create a bed and added 20lbs of NEW live sand. All the LR is from old tank. Will this tank cycle?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

yes, it will cycle pretty quick probably because of the live rock and sand coming from an exsisting system. The water isnt what matters in the cycle.

4. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Probably not if it came from a cycled tank. But I would test your parameters first. Besides I read the tank has to be atleast 6-9 months old for sea horses. But that's only a matter of opinion.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

It might see a short mini-cycle, but a major cycle will not happen as you already have a bacteria base on the LR and the portion of the sand you re-used.

I'd monitor parameters and give it a week. You probably won't see anything interesting happen (in your test results). If not, you're good to go ( slowly just like any "new" tank).

6. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

Moving a sand bed can release all kinds of stuff into the water column - I'd watch both tanks for the next week or two and have some extra mixed SW ready to go in case you need to do some water changes. (i'm assuming the tank you pulled the stuff from is still up and running.)

7. gt40425hp

gt40425hp Feather Duster

X2 on the sand if you have a skimmer going i would run it a bit on the wet side you will probly notice high ammounts of nitrate run carbon just in case theres some toxins being released

8. Click Here!

9. pez blanco

pez blanco Fire Worm

Thanks everyone for your input. Yes the old tank is still up and running and I still have not moved the sea ponies. I just hooked up and plumbed my chiller as I want water temp to be held at 73 all year.