Will this light work?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by JamieC77, Feb 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JamieC77

JamieC77 Bristle Worm

I have a 120 that I am wanting to make saltwater, the dimensions are 60 inches long 22 inches deep and 18 inches wide. My question is will this light be strong enough for the depth of the tank? I know, no hard corals but maybe some soft? The reason I am considering this light is b/c I can get a really good deal on it. I would be buying the 48 inch light and centering the coral in the center of the tank. Thank you ahead of time.

Coralife Lunar Aqualight Deluxe Double Linear Strip Aquariuim Light Fixtures

2. Click Here!

3. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

There are people on this forum that will say that is fine for soft corals. I would try to go with something larger but as long as you change your bulbs out frequently (6 months or so) and dont place anything too low down in the tank it should work. What is the price difference to going with a 6 bulb T5 setup or two 250Watt MH?

4. Dsilowka3

Dsilowka3 Fire Worm

id lean more towards T5's as they penetrate deeper then CF's would. this fixture will limit what corals you can keep.

5. ianaco70

ianaco70 Bristle Worm

I have the same # watts for my 90 gallon and my soft corals seem to be fine...but I have to stack them high on the rock because of the depth of my tank...looking back now at the time I wanted to save money but regret not just spending a little more for a better lighting system...

6. JamieC77

JamieC77 Bristle Worm

I can get this light and a lifetime guarantee for $250 a t5 light with 6 bulbs would be $450 and a 30 day guarantee :-/

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

What are the corals you are wanting to keep under these lights ? and what are you considering for corals and critters in the future ? As for a life time warranty LOL who's life time yours or the light fixtures ? read the fine print and get it in writing..

P/C's where junk in the early 90's when they came out time has not improved them.. A new wave 4 lamp T5 is like 219.00 and will far out do this a 8 lamp is just 370.00 or so .

8. Click Here!

9. Dsilowka3

Dsilowka3 Fire Worm

10. JamieC77

JamieC77 Bristle Worm

I get a lifetime warranty b/c i know the lfs owner she just can't get t5's right now

11. Dsilowka3

Dsilowka3 Fire Worm

So why not just wait it out till she can get the t5's?

12. JamieC77

JamieC77 Bristle Worm

I honestly don't know much about the different types of lights. I just knew i didn't want to spend $450 on the t5 the other lfs had. Which light do u think would be the best?