Will this heat sink work?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by usajet, Jan 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. usajet

usajet Plankton

I'll have sixty LEDs on two of these aluminum straights. Thirty a peice, I know i read some where that boxed aluminum was not good. 43"X3"X1/2"h [​IMG]

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Boxed aluminum will contain the heat inside. You will simply have to add fans on either end for an intake and exhaust to help keep it cool. as long as the heatsinks are about 24 inches long by about 6 inches wide you should be good for 25 to 30 LEDs. 30 LEDs will produce a lot of heat.

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

That's not even a heat sink.

5. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I think you would be better off trying to cut one of those three inch wide pieces off rather than trying to get a fan blowing through it. Have you looked into lows and thought of getting aluminum angle in lu of using a real heatsink?

6. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

You definitely wanna cut that in half length wise so its no longer a box. Then I would think it would be ok with a fan. Just check temps once you get it done

7. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

if you want to use it i would cut a whole in the top center of the metal and put a fan blowing into the whole so that it will push the air out of both of the side then it should work really good just make sure to but a good fan on it.

8. Click Here!

9. usajet

usajet Plankton

I think I will cut a couple square section out of the top. , I'm just trying to figure out the cheapest way for heat dissipation and since I had them laying around at work I thought I'd ask.

10. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I think newreef15 had a good idea with the hole and fan. Maybe if possible 3 holes and two fans with the open on in the middle depending on how long the heat sink will be.

11. usajet

usajet Plankton

Would this be better than whats in the first post? Is this still considered boxed?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak