will this fix my green hair algea issue

Discussion in 'Algae' started by rosewell22uk, May 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rosewell22uk

rosewell22uk Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

my 60 gal is now up and pretty much ready but i want to move all my rock and softies from my nano.

one issue is that i have a pretty bad green algea issue in my nano, probably due to not replacing my bulbs in time and a slighly high nitrate which is sorted now

i m using leds now in my new tank and my nitrates are pretty much zero i have a nice skimmer and also a beefy uv if that helps

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

If you just pick the LR up out of your nano and set it in your 60gal with no drying period or cleaning the algae then yes it will be in your new tank also some might die off since your nitrates are at 0 like the GHA will turn brown (turbo snails love this stuff or atleast mine do) I would pick as much off as you can in your nano and then drop it in your new tank so that you dont have it floating around in the nice clean water collum of your new tank :)

4. rosewell22uk

thanks,

another thought i had was to remove all my softies into my 60gal and then just shut the lights out on the nano, i would give the rock a good clean before lights out and i know i would loose my coraline but ive got loads on my new rocks anywhoos, what sort of time would it take with all lights out and a good clean in the nano

5. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

No problem
    I would just get most of it off in your nano so all the GHA is floating in its water collum and then get some turbo snails and drop it in your new tank because I was told GHA doesnt do harm to your system but just looks terrible to us.

6. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

Try running some phosphate remover in your new set-up from the beginning this will take away one of the main things algae need to grow. ;)

7. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

+1 to phosphate media...

also i would get a bucket with tank water, use that bucket to scrub the heck outta the algae covered rock..really shaking it around in that bucket of water gettting the most you can off it...then put it in the tank...

but 0tds rodi water with a few water changes and running some phosphate media will help alot with the gha

8. Click Here!

9. rosewell22uk

what about some cheato in my sump?
    im trying to keep this as natural as possible, at the moment the only fillteration i am using is live rock,