Will this cycling process ever end!

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Puffer Chick, Sep 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Maybe the rock wasn't cured yet? I think it takes longer to cycle because there is a lot more die off. My live rock was cured for quite awhile, so maybe that's the difference?

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

rock was supposed to be cured twice, once in fiji, and again at the lfs

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

There will still be die off due to being exposed to air. But would be minimal.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

was it you that said when you picked up your rock from LFS that they were still in the box with the Fiji shipping label on it? I can't remember, but if it was...

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea it was shipped in a cardboard box with wet newspaper on top of the rocks, i think that's why there was a ton of white on the rocks.

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i'm not sure, i can't remember, but i did say that in this thread

8. Click Here!

9. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

:confused:

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

so i think my cycling process is about to end, as i was looking at my rock, and on one of the rock there is a little green fuzzy spot, and i think it's the first start of an algae breakout

11. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Patience is the key, like you I started my cycle on the 1st of Aug. and my levels are just about a week ahead of yours by the sound of it. my ammonia has hit 0 nitrites will be at 0 in the next few days and my nitrates are at about 40. I started with all dry rock and used a few jumbo gulf shrimp to kick start the cycle. :whip: :drive:

On tuesday this week I got the first 1/3rd of my cuc from reefcleaners ( yes, John uses USPS) and the 3 different types of snails have nearly eliminated the last traces of the diatom bloom caused by me starting to run the light over the tank. I also got 6 different types of macro algae and 5 mangrove propagules to plant in my 20 gal refuge, all of which should begin to drop the Nitrates in short order. :drive::beer::trampolin

Oh yeah, I also got a single blue leg hermit crab and he has been nonstop shoveling sand into his little mouth and spittin out clean sand since he hit the tank, so far he has covered about a 6" x 10" patch of sand in the front of the display and then I noticed tonight as I headed out the door to work he's moved to the back side of the rocks now. Much more interesting than watchin the rocks grow algae:hammer::whip::trampolin:wave::idea2::stars: :sleeping: :shocked2:

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

very cool! at least this gives me some hope that the cycling process will end, and soon. And so glad he uses UPS. And lol can't wait to see some CUC as watching algae grow isin't very intertaning :D