Will this cycling process ever end!

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Puffer Chick, Sep 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Having nitrates isn't a problem. Are you showing ammonia or nitrite still? What kind of test kit are you using? I have not heard of a tank taking 7 weeks to cycle and still have ammonia. It may not be fully stable but should not be showing any nitrite or ammonia after 7 weeks.

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

when i tested 3-4 days ago ammonia had gone up to 10, it was 0 the time before that, and i tested nitrite as well during that time, i forget the reading but it wasn't at 0 yet. And i use the Red Sea liquid test kit, and i took a sample of water last weekend to the lfs, and i saw on their little test card thing, that their readings were the same as mine.

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Wow. Got some bad juju. I don't think my ammonia ever reached 10... my first 30 gallon was done cycling in 3 weeks and ammonia levels spiked but were still low. Is someone cleaning with Windex or other cleaner around the tank?

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

so i just tested nitrite and its still at 0.05, it's been reading this for past few weeks now, i tested ammmonia, but i have to wait 15 minutes

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

nope the only thing that i've been cleaning my tank with is for the inside a scrubber thing that i bought at pestmart, and for the outside a towel, and tank has been chemical free since day one

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

so it's been 15 minutes, and ammonia reads 0.25

8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I can't imagine why after 7 weeks you would still have ammonia! Sorry, can't help you on that one.

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yup, it's very frustrating, the color in the tube isin't even yellow, it's a lime green type so the closest reading to that would be the 0.25

11. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Was the rock from a reputable dealer? Die off is normal. However, everything that could / should have died, should be dead already.

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

rock was from a lfs, which was originally shipped from fiji, when i picked up the box of rock at the lfs, the box still had the fiji address of where it came from. And i've had a lot of white rock, which i think is the die off, and a lot of it is now being covered in diatoms