Will this be enought Light????

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by 90accord, Feb 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 90accord

90accord Plankton

I was looking to get this light Current USA Nova Extreme T5 X2 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 2X24 Watt, 24 inch

Its a nova extreme 2 X 24w t5 24"
    My tank is a 26g bow front dimensions are 24long 15wide at bow. and 20tall.
    Its a freshwater tank now I am buying supplies to convert to salt. Would this be enought light for corals? I was hoping not to have to get the 4 bulb one its twice as much. Or are there any other lights that might be better for around the same price dont want to shell out too much.

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Sorry 90 but my t5 experience was short lived........ I run mh lighting. I can offer a valuable piece of advice though.
    This is a bad start into your reefkeeping endeavor. Hit yourself in the wallet now and it'll pay for itself later8).

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

you could look at a oddysea lighting fixture, their cheap and you get what you pay for but I'd rather go with a cheap 4 bulb fixture than have a 2 bulb, 2 wont produce enough light to have anything over GSP or Xenia probably

5. 90accord

90accord Plankton

Ok.
    Any sujustions on a better fixture? Would like to spend under $125 any good ones I should look for. Or any I should Stay away from.

6. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Save up some money and get you a HOB MH light with fan, you need $150 more.

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

do a viper 70 watt mh

8. Click Here!

9. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Get as many bulbs that will fit on top of your tank. This one looks better. 24 inch Current USA Nova Extreme 4x24W T5HO.

It's just a little more than you are looking to spend. You'll eventually want to replace the bulbs though. The Current bulbs aren't great but they will be fine for a FOWLR tank.

If you're going into this hobby be prepared to spend money.

10. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I would look for a single 150 watt MH fixture like a Sunpod. Its around $250 but you wiull ike it and you can keep most anything

11. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

150W for a 26G is a bit too much lighting, it will burn the animals in the tank. I have a 70W HQI on my 20G and just added a 2x24W T5 to supplement actinic only.
    It really depends on what you want in the tank. The 2x24 will be ok if you want fish only and never put any coral in there. If you want softies, go with the 4x24W. If you want anemones or SPS, think about going 70W or 100W HQI with supplemental actinics if you like the blue look.