Will this be enough light ?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Reefkeeper, Aug 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefkeeper

Reefkeeper Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I've been trying to read up on lights for awhile and have been looking at T-5's and at whats being said about them on some of the threads here . I'm thinking about the 36" Nova extreme /lunar lights [$169.99] for my 46 bow and was wanting to ask if you all think that this 156 watt will be enough ? There is also the Sundial T-5 for $289.99[same watts 156] Does anyone know which would be the better light? thanks Scott,

2. Click Here!

3. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

MarineandReef.com has the Sundial for $228.74 with free shipping. Enough said.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

how big is your tank

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

....and what do you want to put in it?

6. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Lighting a 46 gallon bow

I have the 46 gallon bow. I use the sunpod 2 150 watt DE MH bulbs 14,000k Phoenix bulbs. I think for the size tank it does probably the best job in terms of keeping any coral I want. The phoenix bulbs cast a very nice blue so you don't need any actinics. No heat problems also I just have a little fan blowing from the back to front of the tank and temp stay at 77.5 to 78.
    Adam

7. Reefkeeper

As far as what I'd like to try to keep would be maybe a claim an anemone some diff. kinds of polyps .Things are growing now ,but have bought a few things like some yellow polyps that after a week or two just died out ,they did come out of a tank that had MH lights over it and by putting them in my tank with only fluorescent lights was not enough for them or at least thats what I thought .

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I had YP under pc lighting and they did great. I dont think its the lighting, but more like your paras. Luna

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Your decision on coral purchases now and in the future, are going to make a big impact as to what lighting scheme you should implement! As you are probably aware of by now, not all corals require the same amount of water flow and lighting(PAR, PUR) for their success in a captive environment!
    The same can be said of your water parameters and lighting alone does not guarantee the success of your corals, sponge, gorgonians, Tridacna Clams and anemones!
    You could have very intense lights over your tank, but variables like salt creep on the protective glass covering your lights, glass top, suspended particulates, dissolved organics(such as Gelbstoff) and placement of your corals will, ultimately play out on the color and health of your corals and other life forms in your tank!! These variables can and will have a serious impact on your light intensity!

11. Reefkeeper

I see there is alot of factors involved in keeping everyone happy and healthy , and that It's going to be a on going learning experience for as long as I have a tank . I'm just starting to try and upgrade now and thought about the [T-5's,156watt] I know that I will still be limited to what I can grow with that light , but as far as the light goes do you think that it will be intense enough for most of the soft corals? I know that there is alot of things thats got to be just right , all things I've still got to learn ,but I need to start somewhere ,so I thought the light would be a good place to start. I don't want to get into the MH's because of the cost of them,and to run them.Reeron said look into this[ Sundial for $228.74]what do you think?

12. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Well, you asked which would be better between the Sundials and the Nova Extremes. The Sundial, hands down. And I showed you a much better price than what you had. As for them being the best possible T5 light. Nope. Will they allow you to keep Mushrooms, Polyps, and most LPS corals? Yes. Will you be able to keep anything? I'd say no. However, they are a very good light for the price.

If you weren't worried about price, then Nova Extreme Pros (6 lights) and Tek T5s (6 lights) would be the way to go. The Teks are supposed to be the better of the two. However, the Tek T5 will cost about $500 once you figure in the bulbs and the leg stands (raises the fixture up off the top of your tank about 3 inches). The Nova Extreme will be $292.65 at this site:

Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5HO - 10K / 460nm Actinics Light Fixtures

I've seen at least one article comparing the Nova Extremes with MHs, and the Extremes have been found to be about equal to a MH. Test was done using a par meter. If I can find the link, I'll post it (so everyone knows I'm not pulling this out of my butt).

1 person likes this.