Will They Make it Through the Cycle...?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by WAHMof2, Feb 20, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. WAHMof2

WAHMof2 Plankton

I hope this is where this should go...LOL!

New to the whole aquarium hobby (my hubby's my guide) -
    Anyway, we got some FIJI live rock that had a few good sized tube worms (with red plumes) and some "mushrooms" attached.

I'm really wanting to know if these will survive the cycle process. I am really enjoying them and would hate to see them wither away... Our nitrites are at 1 ppm right now. The tube worms seem fine, but the mushrooms are a little "wrinkled" looking.

TIA!

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

That is a questionable answer. They do consume dom and other things in the water, however, a cycle will bring with excess levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Being that the shrooms are very easy to keep, you may find out that they will make it. Same hold true with the filter feeding wormd(dusters)!
    See what happens! Let us know!

4. WAHMof2

WAHMof2 Plankton

OK, Well, we'll see what happens!!

5. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

if ya happen to catch this, how'd it turn out? i had a single mushroom hitchhiker (that's what LFS dude told me, just looked like a dark brown, round blob of stuff)... anyway, it withered away in 2 days... but i've had 3 of the dusters you explained make it through the cycle, and they're growing beautifully! by the way, any specific ID on the red feathered dusters?

6. kevink

kevink Astrea Snail

i find feather duster super hardy all the ones that are on my live rock during cycle bout 20 of them all lived.

7. WAHMof2

WAHMof2 Plankton

Hi everyone!
    Sorry I haven't been posting alot, definately have been reading though :)

Anyway, YES ~ Most of them made it through. All of the little red feather dusters are beautiful and growing. We found that we actually had several of the little brown mushrooms, but only 1 of them made it through.
    We also had lots of hte tiny, white feather dusters and they all made it through just fine and are growing and multipying!

We've added so many beautiful things to our tank now ~ it's amazing looking back at the "beginning"!

Thank you all and best of luck to those just beginning the process!

8. Click Here!

9. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

man oh man, i can't wait till i can "reminesce" about when i first started up..lol... i think it would be like old folks having flashbacks to vietnam... in my case, it would cause me to start throwing aquarium related stuff around the room, kicking and cussing because i can't get anything right... ahh yeah, those will be the days...lol

10. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

(i hear the slight bubbling of the protein skimmer)... GASP, is that bubble algae i see? "DIE ALGAE DIE!!!" "Alright, i'm sending the EC's (emerald crabs) to take on these commmie bubbles" "and Team Astrea, i want you to secure the glass!" "fall out!"