will these corals make it?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by vegasfish, Mar 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

Do you think these corals will live? I have them in a QT tank after about a week of treatment for red bugs. Most corals have bleached to white. I think it is due to a combination of poor lighting (PC lights) and interceptor treatment. You will see one coral that has turned from brown to bright green. The good news about him is that when I bought it from the 800 gallon tank at Vivid Aquariums it was the bright green color as I watched them frag it for me. But it turned brown in my tank. I believe it turned brown from fighting red bugs. Anyways let me know if you think when I put them back in my display tank in a week if they will make it. I hear red bugs die in 5 days. Should I only wait a few more days and then put the corals back in the tank so they get proper lighting and nutrients?

Brown to green coral you can see it still shedding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Well, I don't know what you are referring to by "Red bugs". It is more prudent to use a good coral dip as opposed to QTing a coral.

4. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Red bugs are an organism that affects sps corals, particularly acropora. The Green one doesn't look too bad, but the middle one looks dead. I was trying to see if there are any polyps but I can' see any that are out. If there are polyps then it's just really bleached and may be able to make a come back, if no polyps, then it's dead. The last one looks like half is dead and the other half still has some polyps and color, I would frag what you can and see if it makes a recovery.

6. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

Ok I guess what I'll do is place them in my display tank and look for any polyp extension. I fear the worst here!

7. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

Did you leave them in the qttank for a week with the interceptor?

8. Click Here!

9. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

Well I did one treatment for approx 24hrs then realized the directions for the qt tank were 6 hours only. Did a complete water change and let them be for 4 days. Then did a second treatment for 6 hours and another complete water change.

a couple days later here we are.:-/

10. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

I have been dealing with the same issue in my tank and from what I understand from melevs reef you should only put it in the qt tank for 1 hour with interceptor,blast off any red bugs you see with a turkey baster,change the water using water from your dt and let sit for 1 more hour.I could be wrong so if I am PLEASE anyone do not hesitate to speak up.I will be doing this to my corals prob. in my dt this week.