Will my rock die???

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by freshtosalt, Nov 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Magnesium test kit. If that is low, (should be about 1300-1400) you may have problems keeping the CA and ALk up where it belongs. ;)

2. Click Here!

3. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

I can't find a magnesium test kit anywhere. Everybody tells me not to worry about it. Got a caclium test kit though, my Cal. is at about 480-495. Is that good???

New problems though:

1) added a peppermint shrimp last night. It's already dead. It appears that something ate it's insides. :'(

2) got 6 asterea snails and 4 more black turbos. something ate 3 of the astereas and 1 of the black turbos. (hermit crab I think)

3) found a dead hermit crab, out of it's shell

4) Ph was down to 7.8 again. and Alkalinity was at 3.0

There was no trace of ammonia... Any ideas on why the shrimp died??? Could it be because I was adding so much iodine before that it has not worn off yet? I plan on taking it back to the LFS with some water to be tested... Any other suggestions? How can I get the hermits to stop eating my snails???

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Are you sure the hermit and shrimp were dead and you didn't just find the molted shells? Turbos sometimes need to be righted....apparently, if the fall, they have trouble getting back up.

Inverts need a long acclimation, about an hour. Did you do that?

6. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

[quote author=birdlady link=board=Newbie;num=1101754135;start=75#83 date=12/30/04 at 08:23:12]
    Inverts need a long acclimation, about an hour.  Did you do that?[/quote]

Good call BL!! ;)

I usually float the bag for 15 min then dispose of 1/2 of the water and add 1/4 cup of water from the tank. Wait another 15 min. and repeat this 3 more times. Then remove the animal from the bag and put in the tank and dispose of the water in the bag.

Or do the same into a QT tank and wait a couple of days to a couple of weeks to observe!! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Drew

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I have a small tank I put beside the main tank and use an airline tubing siphon with a knot in the line....tighten the know for a slower drip. ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

10. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

11. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

O.K. I'm stupid, actually I'm "new to the hobby". The shrimp is fine, it just molted! DUH!!! :p

I'm quite sure about the hermit, it's dead and gone now.

What is a gorilla crab? I found the same crab eating, or attempting to eat, another black turbo. I took it out and flushed it :'(. It was the same hermit I saw attacking the other snails. It has white, or very light colored, bands on it's legs and it has VERY large claws... Gorilla???

The shrimp seems to be hiding between some rocks. I saw it for a brief moment earlier today. Is this behavior normal?

The brittle star is digging itself under some rocks. It went to a corner of the tank and has not left. Is this normal behavior???

I hope nobody was alarmed, I am just newer than the new fallen snow here and I have no clue what's what...

If it weren't for you guys, and Dave from Tropiquatics, I'd be a basket case.

Thanks for all your help!!! :D

12. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Here's a pic of a gorilla crab. I grab 'em and feed them to my stone crab in my sump. http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/images/uglycrab1_low.jpg
    This is VERY normal for a brittle star. Don't expect to see much of him at all unless it smells food. ;D
    Jim