Will my rock die???

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by freshtosalt, Nov 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

R U crazy?...lol

Kalk will shoot your pH through the roof within minutes. I had my kalk set up on my top off system and the system ran out of water and let it go for a few days. Not thinking that my 90 was 5 gallons low on water, I filled my 20g container with RODI and kalk and fired it up. Went up stairs to get a hat to leave and came back down to a smoke white aquarium. I put my pH probe in the water and my pH was 9.9...I think. So I unhooked my CO2 from my freshwater planted tank and slowly decreased it back down. Nothing died, thankfully, but it was a close one. Plus I performed multiple 10g water changes.

Mike

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, yeah if you add it too fast! LOL...I drip about a half gallon in each night....all night ;D

PLus, what was your calcium level...with the precipitation, it probably took a good dive?

I like the kalk because it maintains levels well, and precipitates phospates from the water. But I cannot add enough top off to my system to raise calcium without spiking the pH too high or overflowing my sump. That's why I adjust first, then drip the kalk. :D

In fact, I have just started adding vinegar to the kalk mix (experimenting on my part) to see if I can get the pH to stay a bit higher by super-supersaturation of the kalk mix. So far, it seems to be working. I also have a much smaller system than yours, so that comes into play as well, with the amount of evaporation and so forth.

4. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

O.K. I have heard of "dripping kalk" before, but have no idea how to do it. I was also wondering how to set up a "top off" system because I lose, on average, app. 1/2 - 3/4 gallon water each day...

Anywhere I can look to learn how to set up my own top off system and kalk drip???

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I really got to get pics up of mine. ...hmmm.

My set up is simple....My hubby mounted the RO/DI unit on the back of my tank stand, and I have it going to a Kent Marine Float Valve in my sump for auto top off.

http://www.3reef.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?photo=birdlady/making_RO_DI.jpg

Here is the float valve setup, to the left you can see the black float valve and behind it , the clear water tube coming in

http://www.3reef.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?photo=birdlady/done_sump.jpg

Float valve, and kits.....http://www.marinedepot.com/md_searchitem.asp

I also have the Kent Marine Dosing IV set up...hanging on the back of my tank with one of those 'over the door' hanger hooks made of plastic. The IV hose goes down to the sump. I fill it every night and let it drip in . The auto top off takes care of any difference.

Dosing tank....
    http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_dosing_pumps_top_off_kent_marine_aquadose.asp?CartId=

Links just so you can see how reasonably priced you can set up for. Of course, there are more technology oriented ways...this is just what I did.

For the Kalk, I use RO/DI water mixed with 'Two Little Fishies' brand of Kalkwasser (it is calcium hydroxide, and I am sure most brands are the same). Mix, shake, let settle overnight, then use the clear part of the mix and toss out the settled part. :D ;) :D

6. OldandNew

OldandNew Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Fresh: What is the PH of your base water? If that is low, you might considering getting it up with some baking soda a day or two before even adding salt to it for water changes. Same for top up water. Adjust the PH before adding to the tank.

That is unless you are doing a Kalk drip like birdlady, then the lower PH might be a boon, not a bust.

Cheers,
    Ray

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

No, I still adjust my water before adding to the tank ;D

I use a ssslllloooooooowwww drip ;)

Good idea to adjust before adding to tank....

8. Click Here!

9. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Hey Fresh this is Phil, I can show you how to build a top off kit that will add your kalk slowly and have some here at the house. Also i havent read all the posts but you will have to crank up the light for the reef. Did you have any luck cranking up the skimmer?

10. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

Hey Phil... That would be great. I have to think about space constraints too... If you could stop by some time and check out the set up I'd really appreciate it!

I now have 252 watts and I am going to replace my standard fixture with another 2x96 Lunar Aqualight from Coralife. That will give me over 380 watts.

I was going to buy a Kalk drip system on-line, but I would rather make one (if it's more economical).

I am still having trouble with my Ph, I'ts down around 7.8 and the alkalinity is only 4.5-5.0. I believe that is way too low. I am going to add some KENT Marine Pro-Buffer dKH tonite and then do a 10 gal water change tomorrow.

Thanks again for being there today Phil. I truly appreciate it. :)

11. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

we can build an easy one for under 15 dollars that will fit in your cabinet easy. I will try and stop out this week sometime to help dial ya in and will bring my testing gear. My concern is the water in this area is naturally about 7.8 ph and would rather you not throw anything in there yet as the tank is new setup, lets make syre it is testing accurately. lights look ok but you may want to consider adding a 175w halide instead of the lunar light you will get more out of it and it would be about same cost. Your rock may get a whitish look at first do to some coraline die off ( live rock exposed to air gets some die off but with a properly balanced tank and some attention the coraline will be exploding again. get a turkey baster from the dollar store and about once a week use it to blow debris from rock it also helps spread the coraline growth.

12. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

Great advice. I already have turkey baster, someone else mentioned it a while ago. :) I already paid for the Coralife light so I am probably going to stay with it. The Ph was initially at 8.2 and after I added the new live rock, it dropped to 7.8.

Everything else is perfect. Ammonia=0, Nitrate=0, Nitrite=0, and SG is between 1.021-1.022... According to the Pro-Buffer bottle, the Alkalinity should be twix 2.9-4.0 so I am not that far off at 4.5-5.0.

I only add < 1 tsp of Calcium per day. Do you think I should add more. My rock is completely covered with coraline and it is VERY purple. I have had little to no die off. There is much hard coral on the rock, which also appears to be doing well, i.e. quite active... I also add 10 drops of Iodine each day ( prescribed does is 8 drops per 50 gallons and I have a 65 gal. tank).

The tank has been running, from day one, for 5 weeks Monday the 20th. This Saturday will be 4 weeks with live rock in it.