Will my rock die???

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by freshtosalt, Nov 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

<=====l//////] Plays well with others.

Mike

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

MacNReef....what size tank were the 2 clowns in...bigger that freshtosalts tank? Just food for thought...

and

Freshtosalt

Nemo the movieI believe had a Moorish Idol....a notoriously difficult fish for beginners...

Starfish can and do eat fish on occasion :-[ Just be careful what kind you get, altho I think pretty much all are capable, some more so than others. ;) And they had a Puffer too, right?

Refresh my memory as to what other inverts were in there? I know, Jaque the shrimp, any cleaner shrimp should be OK.

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Oh yeah, Fresh,

My understanding is that if you get 2 SMALL juvenile clowns, they will develop into a pair.

Anyone care to comment on that since I have not actually done that?

5. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

I have a 180. Yeah I think there was a puffer but those are a no no.

Mike

6. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

Yeah, I know puffers are a no no... Never even crossed my mind.

Thanks for all the good info. You too Mike, even though your words come across a little harsh. :)

Dummy me... I had a rock with 3 plain clams on it. I pulled them off. :p 2 came off fairly easily, but one left behind a small white meaty looking chunk inside of the "foot", smaller than a dime. I put the 3 on the floor of the tank and the only one that appears to be living now is the one that I thought I ripped apart. :-/

Question #1: Should I leave the clams in the tank or toss them now that I have ripped them from their homes?

Question #2: Should I take out the rock and scrape the white meaty looking thing inside the foot away or leave it for the bugs/crabs to eat?

Question #3: I just tested the water and the Ph is now only at 7.8. Could that be because of all the moving around of the rock or what? What should I do to raise the Ph?

Thanks to all. ;D

7. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

[quote author=MacnReef link=board=Newbie;num=1101754135;start=45#47 date=12/17/04 at 10:46:00]Sea...working in a store doesn't make you an expert nor someone to give advise.  Go to RC and see how many people complain about the idiots that work at the LFS.  I would bet your store is probably listed there somewhere.

My current experience with different clowns.  I have a pink skunk and a false percula in my tank and have had them for almost one year.  The only time they fought was when the f.percula would get near the pink's host.

Mike[/quote]

Nope LFS dont mean didly...but workin on a my Marine Bio. courses, med clases, and god knows how many hours setting up, maintaining, and trouble shooting tanks as a source of side income sure does put me up thee (not too high but far enough). You wanna talk trash come to SEA SPLENDER mikey.....as far as LFS idots, a majority arent on the cutting edge of even the friggin blade....are you NATURALLY A "HABITUAL LINE STEPPER" ?!?!? Who do you think you are? were do you work, can i talk trash about your job, maybe bash generally and not directly on the types of people in your field, naw that would just make me a bit too much like you....i just posted on you starboard post to try and smooth stuf out.
    <<<<<< Dislikes overthehill flamers with transgender names [smiley=smartass.gif]
    Anywho back to reality....FRESH i would get all the meaty bits out....and the "clams"....as for the PH...If your tanks new then let it sit...if not then i would do some more frequent water changes with water of the proper ph until it comes around. the more gradual the better.

8. Click Here!

9. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

O.K. the tank is only 3 weeks old today, as far as the liverock goes, or 4 weeks if you count letting it run for a week with nothing in it but water...

I'll get rid of the meat and clams.

I was going to buy a Ph buffer. Not a good idea at this stage? I was also planning on doing a 10 gallon water change on Monday, the 4 week mark, and then another 10 on Friday, Christmas Eve.

I wish Mike, and those that respond to him, would stop arguing on this forum. :'( Find somewhere else to spew your venom! >:(

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hi Fresh,

Go ahead and get the pH buffer if you need it . It will take a bit of time to determine how much your system needs and how often you will need to add. No better time to figure all that out then now, with minimal livestock. ;)

If you are going to be adding Calcium, same answer as above here...plus it will help the corraline algae get going (the pink and purple stuff on the rocks)

It also would not hurt to get a Magnesium test kit and see where you are with that. Magnesium helps to stabilize the alkalinity and calcium. It should be around 1300.

Hope that is not too much, but answers your questions :D

(biting my tongue from here on ::)

11. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

Yo Fresh...new day here in lovely FL.

As far as the pH buffer goes maybe you should consider dripping kalk. You can drip it as your top off and this will help to maintain a higher pH. I would assume that you don't have a fuge, is that correct? If you do, you can leave the light on over the fuge all night and all day or reverse cycle and it will help with pH lows at night time. Personally, I don't like to add any buffers but if you need them may I suggest CaCl. Using calcium hydroxide (kalk) can be a little dangerous but if set up right can work wonders and make your coralline goes crazy. Bird is right, get a CA, Alk and Mag test kit. CA should be above 400, 450 is ideal, Alk should be 10-12 and mag should be 1300 or so.

Mike

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I drip Kalk as well, but I find it maintains levels but takes FOREVER and a day to bring them up from a low. I adjust with buffer and calcium, then keep it there with Kalk.

Plus, I find using the RO/DI water, my saltwater needs to be adjusted before adding to the tank as the alk is almost always low.

Alk should be, like Mike said, 10-12 dKH OR 3-5 meq/L - I am not sure what test kit you are using or what measure it gives you :D