Will my rock die???

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by freshtosalt, Nov 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If you put more than 2 clowns of the same species in the same tank, they will fight and kill each other off until there are only 2. Then the smaller of the two fish will "morph" into a male.

A "false" percula clownfish is just one species of clown and is not an indicator as to how well it will do. Both true and false percs should be fine for just about any tank. However, if you're wondering which clown would do better/take better to an anemone, it would depend on the anemone :)

2. Click Here!

3. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

Dude, cook your rock. There is so much crude on live rock that it isn't even funny. Put it in a dark tank for atleast 2 months or until there is no more detritus falling off of it. When you uncover it, it will be a little white but the coralline will grow back.

Mike

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

The coralline may grow back, but everything else will die if you do that. :-/

Just do what you are already doing FreshtoSalt ;) :D

5. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

Dude listen to me...cook the rock! I can assure you it is the best way. The people on here only speak from personal experience. They only do what they do, they never try anything new. I am sure DSB is still the big thing here...lol

Mike

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Please tone it down Mike. Your sweeping statements about "others" are patently incorrect and a vieled personal attack. Yes cooking your rock is an option, but there are more ways to skin a cat and not all solutions fit every situation.

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=MacnReef link=board=Newbie;num=1101754135;start=30#33 date=12/16/04 at 19:51:34]Dude listen to me...cook the rock!  I can assure you it is the best way.  The people on here only speak from personal experience.  They only do what they do, they never try anything new.  I am sure DSB is still the big thing here...lol

Mike[/quote]

What a pity Mike,

I've been reading some of your posts today, and although most of them were negative I thought that you at least weren't as rude as the last time.

Maybe you could point us to the study that comes to the conclusion that "cooked" rock. Doesn't matter really, because I know people like you, similar to cockroaches really, just come out when it's dark and quiet and then hide.

Goodbye Mike, and I hope this time it is for a long time

John

ps, I sent you this post on a PM as well just to make sure you got it

John

8. Click Here!

9. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

Oh I got it! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

So now you like to slander people by calling them, and I quote a, "c**kroach"!  lol  Oh wait, you only said that in PM...

Look, lets try this again.  Take 2, if you will.  IMO, cooking rock is the best thing to do, but there is many other options.  [smiley=beer.gif]

Mike

10. OldandNew

OldandNew Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Mike, I like my rock fresh from the 1000 Islands. Sushi style. You want to cook yours, fine, but for some of us, we like to see the critters come out to play. Sometimes we get an unwelcomed guest, but so far I have not read that has been a travesty for anyone.

I have three small crabs of unknown parrentage living in my rock. The LFS guy says if possible to rid myself of them. They only toss around the rock. These guys now are too small to toss around much more than a pebble. So I will wait and see if they ever emerge from the rock. I'm sure in the weeks and months ahead I'm going to be privy to more bits an pieces of nature. Things that you unfortunately will probably not see in your cooked rock and sterile aquarium.

Maybe you should lable your tank "Brave New Aquarium."

Cheers,
    Ray

11. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

You havent read of any problems...really. Well, I will just name a few...mantis shrimp got into a guys tank through LR, and it ended up shattering the glass. Next, ever hear of dichtyota, it is a type of macro algae from the Caribbean and once it gets in your tank through liverock from the keys or wherever, it is very hard to find the right critters to eat it. Especially, if you have sps. There is a ton of other problems.

Mike

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Other than a little aiptasia, my LR from the Caribbean has been nothing but a pleasure.

Yes there are risks of algeas, mojanos, aiptasias, fireworms, mantis, crabs, aliens - the works. As long as you are willing to deal with these you don't "have" to cook your rock.

Inwall75 just finished cooking his rock.

Detritous is one of those things you can minimize but neve eliminate in a closed loop system.