Will my rock die???

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by freshtosalt, Nov 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

Thanks!!! If it weren't for you guys/gals I don't know what I'd do. You have all been so helpfull and informative. I wish I had something to give back.

It's close to Christmas so I'll wish you and yours the very best of Christmas' and may all your hopes and dreams come true in the New Year!!!

Thank you all again!

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[n]Thanks and right back at you![/b]

4. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

O.K. the live rock has been in the tank for just over 2 weeks and the purple color is coming back and the life is going crazy. Got my rock from a guy on eBay, fosters??? something like that. Anyway, I have noticed some light algae growth on the glass, just wipes off. Also, some green hairlike algae on the rocks. I have used a toothbrush to clean off some of the green stuff.
    Was wondering if I can get a snail to clean the algae away for now. I mean before I start to put fish in. Just ran water tests and everything is perfect. SG is a little low, 1.020-1.021, but I was going to do a water change this coming weekend. Also, the Ph went from 8.0 to 8.2. Something else I should test for, alkalinity, or something I can add to "buffer" the Ph???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Yes add Many snails and supplement their diet if needed. Although it probably will not be needed.
    J

6. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

O.K. I got 3 "turbo snails" tonight. They appear to be doing well so far. Supllement their diets with what???

Checked out something like a Ph buffer "dKh" at the store... What the heck is dKh? Like I said earlier, the Ph went up from 8.0 to 8.2 and the specific gravity went down slightly from 1.021-1.022 to 1.020 - 1.021. From what it said on the bottle, the buffer is to help raise the Ph to between 8.0 - 8.4. As long as I'm in that range, do I need to do anything else?

I am planning a 10 gallon water change this coming weekend. After that I'll add some "essential ellements" and then monitor the water levels for about another 2 weeks before I introduce any fish...

I am also planning on purchasing about another 50-60 lbs of live rock. That should be enough right? I already have 40 lbs so that would make it app. 90-100 lbs of live rock...

7. Craig Manoukian

[quote author=freshtosalt link=board=Newbie;num=1101754135;start=15#24 date=12/13/04 at 18:44:19]Supllement their diets with what???[/quote]

I've never supplemented a Turbo snail's diet as they are algeavores and there is always some algea available. Nassaurius snails are detrivores and will eat any left over meaty foods you feed your tank. :)

[quote author=freshtosalt link=board=Newbie;num=1101754135;start=15#24 date=12/13/04 at 18:44:19]What the heck is dKh?[/quote]

Go to the Acronym link for your answer! ;D

[quote author=freshtosalt link=board=Newbie;num=1101754135;start=15#24 date=12/13/04 at 18:44:19]I am also planning on purchasing about another 50-60 lbs of live rock. That should be enough right? I already have 40 lbs so that would make it app. 90-100 lbs of live rock...[/quote]

The rule of thumb is 1.5 - 2 lbs per gallon of tank volume depending on the rock's density. The more dense, the more rock needed. ;)

8. Click Here!

9. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

WOW!!! Thanks for the info Craig. If/When I win the other auction on eBay I will have 95 lbs of live rock, that is app. 1.5 lbs per gallon...

I just added 5 black turbo snails and 5 cortez crabs in addition to the 3 larger turbos(app. 1.5"). I was thinking of waiting another week or two ten add 2 Blood Shrimp and about 4-5 Green Chromis. does that sound alright?

I have plans to add 2 pairs of clown fish and at least 1 large Rose Anemone, however, I saw and fell in love with an African Yellow Sebae Anemone. will the clowns go to the Yellow Sebae? I was going to add the anemone first then about a week later the clowns. Again, sound like a good plan?

I also have plans on adding another 2x96 Lunar Coralife light fixture. That will give me over 380 watts.

Now to my real question... I have a lot of coralline algae, the purple stuff, will this spread to the other rock in the tank in time, or will it only remain on the rock's that it is on now???

Thanks and sorry for being so long winded... :eek:

10. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

1. Yes
    2. Yes, borrowed link from Craig, anemone compatibility chart http://biodiversity.uno.edu/ebooks/intro.html
    3. Yes with the right amount of flow and calcium anywhere from 3 to 6 months later
    Others may have different opinons, sorry to be so long winded :D
    Jim
    HAVE FUN

11. Craig Manoukian

You will have a very high probability of territorial battles with two pairs of clowns in your 65 gallon. Not enough real estate for them.

12. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

That's what I was wondering. Would it be better to have 3 clowns? I have read that there should be 1 dom male and at least 2 females. I have also read that the males will hermaphrodite to females if need be.

Also, wondering on opinions of "false clown anemenoefish" vs. "clown anemonefish"??? I know there's a difference, but which would be best suited?

Thanks again to all of you!!!