Will my rock die???

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by freshtosalt, Nov 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

[quote author=freshtosalt
    I'll try to add some pictures this week

[/quote]
    ;D ::) :D

2. Click Here!

3. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Scallops are harder to keep than almost all clams like maxima and crocea....They simply starve in most aquaria even with special care. THe longest ive ever seen one live is about a year and a half, in a VERY mature reef with target feeding. But i dont think anyone is clear to thier natural life span so it may be that they are vary hardy but simply live short lives, like killi fish or cuddlefishes. I just hit that train of thought...ive confused myself as to whether i should say "go buy ten" or "help me boycott the collection of them"....hmmm. :-/

4. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

O.K. pictures are definately coming by Monday night. I have to work all weekend... I never got the anemone cause the one at the LFS did not open nicely :(. I have added a blue hippo tang, diadema, and royal gramma. all are doing GREAT ;D! Except that the tang keeps hiding behind the LR and only comes out to feed. Normal???

The Kalk drip is keeping the pH at 8.2-8.4 and the alkalinity is app. 3.5-4.0. ;D

I also added some ricordia and 2 polyp rocks that are really cool looking under the moonlight LED's 8).. I can't get a pic of them "glowing" yet, haven't figured out the camera completely :p...

I am probably going to wait about a week or two for the anemone, since I added the other stuff first.

Still no replies about the "poop". HMMMMM wonder why :-/? I was thinking of getting a horseshoe crab to "sift" the sand but not sure I have enough sand, surface area, to keep it happy and alive. Idea's???

5. jnbahwkins

jnbahwkins Fire Worm

In my short experience with saltwater fish, i think all are shy for awhile.even my yellow tang was,my fire fish hid for 2 weeks but now is out and about

6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Update time?? You added a lot of fish there all at one time? How is everything going? Any algae or cyno problems. Nitrates?

7. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

I'll try this again. 2 other attempts failed the other day...

I lost the blue tang to ick :(. Actually to my stupidity. After giving it a fresh water bath, I put it in the tank. It went into hiding, I went into panic mode, I took it out into another "tank" and it died there :'(. Same night, saw spots on Gramma. Fresh water bath, back in tank, left over night, Gramma doing fine ;D... Bad me... :-[

New rose anemone and 2 clown fish, doing fine ;D. new horseshoe crab, doing fine ;D.

Kalk drip moved under tank, doing fine. Thinking of putting it on an air pump and a timer so it only drips at night. Suggestions???

More pictures in a couple of weeks... Pictures of Kalk drip too...

8. Click Here!

9. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

Also... I feed my anemone Ocean Nutrition Aqua Yums Krill( one whole square) and Ocean Nutrition Formula Two( 1/2 square) every other day. I switch between the two; however, I have seen the anemone "spit out" the Formula Two in a chunk at the end of the day... Why? I was going to get some squid to feed it or some larger krill. Any suggestions???

It has almost doubled in size since I got it app. 3 weeks ago, so I must be doing something right(I hope). Just wondering how they "eat" and why it spit out the chunk of Formula Two???

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

freshtosalt I think you need to start a new thread. We are on page 8 here and I am not sure what the subject is - pretty sure it's not rock anymore.  ;) :)