Will my rock die???

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by freshtosalt, Nov 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

[quote author=freshtosalt link=board=Newbie;num=1101754135;start=90#94 date=01/01/05 at 03:43:19]Will a copper band get along with the peppermint shrimp? Don't want any tank wars...[/quote]

If youre talking about the Coral banded shrimo stay clear, they make innocent juveniles then turn into dominearing killers!!!!!!!!!!I no longer sell them to people with reef tanks.

2. Click Here!

3. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

put the Green Chromis first see how they do. copper band don't eat shrimp.I would get the fire shrimp.I have 2 fire shrimp they keep the fish clean.when I first put my copper band in my tank he would go to the fire shrimp to get cleaned.I think every tank should have fire shrimp in it,well reef tank anyways:)just don't get any fish that might eat them.

4. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

O.K. I did it!!! ;D If you check out the photo gallery, I uploaded some pics of my tank. Keep in mind that they were taken on Christmas day and I have since added an additional 15 lbs. of live rock

I am thinking of putting in another bag of live sand, or just putting in some "Southdown" or "Oldcastle" sand to give it a deeper DSB. Right now it is only app. 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inches deep. I read somewhere else on this site that it should be app 4". Will it be O.K. to put the "plain" sand over the other stuff? It won't kill any of the "pods" will it? :p

I'll see if I can get some Chromis on Tuesday, I am off Mon and Tue this week. If they last until Next week Wed, I'll see about the butterfly... Sound O.K. to you all?

Also, got plans to make my own Kalk drip. Question: How do I know how much to drip in? How will I know if it's too much or too little? Should I keep using the buffer?

5. allaboutfish37

you should wait a few weeks before adding the copperband after you put the other fish in."take your time"4in sb is good don't know about the pods think they would be ok.

6. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

I keep hearing, and seeing, everybody talk about using a refugium... Is there a way I could turn my Aquaclear 75 from a WDF to a refuge? Should I even bother? :-/

The reason I ask is because the filter I have looks like the refuge's I've seen with the exception that the sump is not "separated" from the rest of the system. It could be with the addition and subtraction of a couple of pieces of plexiglass...

I paid good money for the WDF :eek: I have, but if a fuge would be "better" for my system, well.... I only want what's best for my fishy friends... ;D

7. allaboutfish37

I just started a refugium in my system it is only a sump or a tank what ever you want to call it as long as it holds water.

WHY HAVE A REEF REFUGIUM?:

There are no hard and fast rules for setting up a refugium. The type of refugium you set up should depend on the reasons why you want the refugium. The primary reason why I added a refugium to my reef aquarium was an attempt to lower nitrate levels which were about 30 parts per million (ppm). I saw a couple of news group postings stating that after adding a planted refugium to a reef aquarium, nitrate levels of the aquarium dropped to undetectable levels, so I gave it a try and it worked for me as well. The theory is that as the algae grows, it takes up various nutrients, such as nitrate, phosphate and ammonium, out of the water. The algae can then be occassionally pruned and thrown away. Macro algae can be given to a friend, sold to the LFS or fed to your fish. There are numerous types of refugiums such as deep sand bed, surge, slow flow, fast flow, planted, live rock, sump, fauna, plankton, lit, unlit, and many combinations of the above
    I found this at some guys site this is why I did it my nitrate and phosphate were high seems to help out..
    here is the site
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/3389/reeftank/refugium.html

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[quote author=allaboutfish37 link=board=Newbie;num=1101754135;start=105#105 date=01/04/05 at 05:17:16]Macro algae can be given to a friend, sold to the LFS or fed to your fish. [/quote]

Glad yors is working, I set mine up for the samee reason.

Wouldn't feeding the macro algea to you fish reintroduce the nutrients back into your system? I just prune as my algeavores prune the macro stuff in my display. Just a thought.

10. allaboutfish37

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Newbie;num=1101754135;start=105#106 date=01/04/05 at 05:23:59]

Glad yors is working, I set mine up for the samee reason.  

Wouldn't feeding the macro algea to you fish reintroduce the nutrients back into your system?  I just prune as my algeavores prune the macro stuff in my display.  Just a thought.

[/quote]
    maybe if your fish did'nt eat it I have lots of tangs ;D

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I don't imagine it would introduce anything more than any other algae based food would also introduce ;D Right?

Same reason for my fuge as well....4" DSB in the planted fuge....undetectable nitrates ;D

12. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

I added 3" of sand to my tank. I also added 6 Green Chromis, slowly, and another peppermint shrimp. The peppermints are not even looking at the aiptasia, I bought a "red leg" hermit (not a scarlet) because I read that they would eat the aiptasia, it hasn't so.....

I used a small, 1 tsp., medicine syringe that my son use to use when he was younger. I heated the water in the microwave to about boiling and went to work... >:(

I hit the largest one first, when I got close it retreated into it's hiding place. I followed it into it's hole and once the hot water hit it, it exploded!!!! :eek: I went after the others and they too died a horible death.. :'(. I have since killed app. 10 this way. I guess I will just have to keep boiling them since nothing else is working...

I also started my Kalk drip. I made my own from a post I found at "Reefkeeping" online magazine. It was too easy, but it is working. Just started the drip this morning at about 0745 hrs. It's dripping at app. 1 drip/sec, sound about right? We'll see how it goes.

I'm adding a rose anemone today and maybe a scallop, just for looks. Anybody have scallops?

I have noticed that there seems 2 b "poop" :-/ accumulating on the surface of the sand. Is it poop? If it is, what kind of critter can I get to get rid of it? I bought some bumble bee snails, but they are on the rock and not in the sand like I was told they would be. Maybe a diamond goby?

I have also found 4 yellow sponges growing on my live rock!!! ;D I hope they live, not like the orange one.. :'(

I'll try to add some pictures this week