Will my purple lobster eat my snails?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by DaDaAtlanta, Dec 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

I have a CUC coming from reefcleaners tommorow and I was wondering if my purple lobster will attempt to eat my snails. It hasnt bothered my hermit crabs or my emerald, cb shrimp, starfish but I did lose a few small nassarius snails but I dont know if that was the lobster or hermits lookin for new homes because one of my hermits did take one of the empty shells. My 2 astrea snails and also doing fine. The snails im receiving consist of a lot of dwarf and florida ceriths so im concerned if I need to catch that lobster. Don't see much of him anyway, but got to admit its way cool looking when I catch him with the flashlight during my night snooping lol.

2. Click Here!

3. JayTropical

JayTropical Purple Spiny Lobster

i do know hermits will sacrifice a snail for a bigger shell. that may be your culprit.. as for the lobster i do not have experience.. hopefully someone with more knowledge on lobsters chimes in.

1 person likes this.
  4. mantis

mantis Flamingo Tongue

Lobster is completely snail safe, with exception of a very large one might possibly try it, but I have two purple reef lobsters and they don't mess with anything, just leftover food, hermits will kill snails for their shells

1 person likes this.
  5. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

6. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

Awesome, just makin sure, now to sit by the window and wait for the mail to come ;D

7. dreiling

dreiling Fire Shrimp

it will eat hermit crabs if it is hungry trust me. Just keep it well fed and it will not bother anything

8. Click Here!

9. mantis

mantis Flamingo Tongue

Purple reef lobsters don't have the strengt to crack open a hermit crab, so unless the hermit is too big for it's shell and hangs out, or it's a giant purple lobster, it's just not going to happen

10. meagan1823

meagan1823 Purple Spiny Lobster

so are purple lobsters reef safe?
    I saw one at Petco and it was really pretty. I wanted it but I figured it wasn't reef safe. what does it eat. sorry not trying to hijack your thread just curious

11. mantis

mantis Flamingo Tongue

I say yes, but some will disagree, but I have two in my 75g reef, and all they do is scavenge, but. They might grab a sleeping fish in the rockwork at night, but that is unlikely, my tank has alot fish

12. dreiling

dreiling Fire Shrimp

they are smart little guys, I saw mine run over too my hermit crab pull it out of the shell not cracking the shell, eat it and go over 3 others in one minute all in the same manner. It was funny cause I had a guest watch it happen as it took place with me; and he just laughed like he was watching wedding crashers.