Will my corals be OK if....

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jhawkor, Jul 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

Yeah, I hope so. The type of algae I'm getting is brown and now that I look at it more closely it looks like diatoms..does anyone know if most tap water has silicates in it?

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Everyone is in different areas of the country so that would be subjective but if I had to answer I would say yes, most water contains silicate. Are the lights new in respect to the type they are? Any sunlight getting to the tank?

4. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I agree the ro/di will definitly help. I also agree with finding the cause of the problem rather than a quick fix band-aid type solution which only masks the problem doesnt fix it. If you contact your local county water office they should be able to provide you with test results from water tests for your area. I found out all kinds of nasties are in the water where I live. I used to work for our local water dept. and did some of the testing and there is no way I would drink my tap water, no matter how much chlorine they put into it.

5. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

Yeah, I'll be getting an RO/DI unit soon. I don't really have much of an algae problem just the brown dusting over the sand but other than that the tank is pretty clean besides coraline. So hopefully the RO/DI will stop the growth of the brown stuff on the sand.