Will my Clowns Host my new frogspawn?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by HollyG, Oct 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

I traded my firefish and a 200w heater for a frogspawn that has 3 heads on it, one is starting to split again. When fully opened it is roughly as big as my hand! I am hoping to get my clownfish to host it, so I placed it on the side of the tank the clowns like most (which is the perfect place for the coral because there isn't too much flow) The clowns will hover above it or chill next to it, but it seems they don't have much interest in it. They aren't scared of it at all though. Since they aren't scared of it and will hover over or beside it, is there a good chance that they will start hosting it?

2. Click Here!

3. zzzzzzzzpr

zzzzzzzzpr Purple Spiny Lobster

they could :). mine host a colony of lunar zoas:). lol.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

There's always some chance that they will; there's also a chance they will kill it if they do. A lot of LPS corals eventually become damaged by the clown's activity.

5. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

They could, but its always up to them, they might find something else to host instead. Just watch them and see what they do. Kinda place it near where they hang out.

6. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

IMO, I wouldn't want my clowns to host my frogspawn or any other euphylias. Clowns can be rather aggressive in their habits when a coral is hosting them and can lead to the death of the coral. I witnessed it happening to my torch before the clown decided to switch to my brain coral. I recently received a frogspawn from a person whose clown was trying to host it and the frogspawn was starting to diminish so they gave it away.

7. MajesticCoral

MajesticCoral Fire Worm

That's what I worry about,corals being damaged by clownfish

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

My maroon hosted my bubble coral (physogyra) without any issues. I agree that you don't want your clown to host your coral... This bubble coral stung a raw spot onto my maroon's chin but the fish continued to host.
    [​IMG]

10. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

I understand that the nem/euphy is the host, but why is that? Dont they have a paired relationship? They benefit each other, correct? So why cant one say the clown is hosting the coral? (Im not disagreeing with you, im just wondering 8) )

11. MajesticCoral

MajesticCoral Fire Worm

I think it depends which came first the chicken or the egg lol but seriously who is in control or who wears the pants in the clow/anemone relationship?

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Clowns nest. Anemones host :)

1 person likes this.