will liverock handle a 2 day trip?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by damo86, Sep 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. damo86

damo86 Flamingo Tongue

hey all i am getting liverock and its getting sent to me.....its comming from a main supplier to a company to me so it will be in freight for 2 days....will this liverock still be alive when i receive it?

2. Click Here!

3. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

It will have a lot of die off, some stuff will survive, but a lot will not. You will most likely have to re-cycle the rocks.

4. damo86

damo86 Flamingo Tongue

thats no good i have just requested a full refund as i can get liverock if i go for a 1 hour drive!

so if i was to get this live rock do u mean i would have to add more liverock from another supplier to cycle it?

5. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

No...what i mean is that if the liverock is not fully submerged during transport....some life will die. If you are putting it in an established tank, you will see an ammonia spike from decaying bacteria, pods, stars, ect. Some of the life on the rock will die after 2 days of not being submerged under water.

if you are putting this in a brand new tank without any fish or coral, just pop it in and let it cycle in the tank.