Will I go into a mini cycle if...

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Jctse, May 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

If the biological filter being added is cured it shouldn't cycle, neither should dry sand create a cycle. IMO. My tank didn't spike at all when I removed my CC and added dry sand.

And $40 for 40#'s of dry sand is PRICY! Marco Rocks will ship 40#'s for $30. And ya can buy it locally for cheaper most places.

To each there own, live sand isn't gonna hurt anything except your pocket book!;)

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

You do not need to remove the crushed coral. Occasional vacuuming while removing water for a water change will keep it clean. IMOPE, detritus also settles into sandbeds, causing far more problems than just high nitrates.

How often do you clean or change the filter pad? I run a HOB filter, but instead of using the pads, I hang media bags in it with GAC. Anything that gets trapped in a mechanical filter is food for something in your tank, but it will still break down into DOCs, causing nitrate issues.

4. Jctse

Jctse Astrea Snail

Thanks for all the replies and tips. I did a complete retest last night and ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate is barely detectable.

I did two things that maybe helped. I wound up siphoning out about 1/4 substrate per week. Right now about 90% of the substrate is gone. I also changed my carbon out with some fancy carbon product call Clear FX Pro (lfs was pushing it). So right now I'm filter floss, Purigen, and Clear FX Pro.

I'll probably go bare bottom for a while because I sorta think It looks unique. I'll put some some sugar sized aragonite in when I get tired of it.

Thanks all.