Will I go into a mini cycle if...

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Jctse, May 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jctse

Jctse Astrea Snail

My nitrates are around 10ppm while doing a religious 15% water change routine. I've been advised to change out the crushed coral substrate. I'm only like about 6 months in. I'm strongly thinking it is a good idea. In the back left I put chaetomorpha into box with holes and small powerhead.
    All I have for filtration is purigen, charcoal, and filterpad in the box in the corner. Do I have to worry about going into a minicycle if I just remove all the substrate and replace it with new dry (but will wash before using) sand? Will the rock (which was uncured when I first got it) be enough?

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

You should be fine. I did the same thing and didn't have a mini cycle. It is a mess though until the new sand settles down!

4. HOSTA333

HOSTA333 Astrea Snail

What kind of sand are you trying to get?

5. Jctse

Jctse Astrea Snail

Fine sugar sized Aragonite? Someone suggested I take out the substrate 1/4 a week. So in about 4 weeks time I will be barebottom (assuming 1/4 per week). Then when it's bare put my new sand in. I like the idea. Do you think it's necessary to put in wet live sand or just go with washed dry sand?

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

fine sand is gonna be a nightmare for a few months till it calms down! And def don't use live sand, waste of money! If you're going to do it that way, I'd use wet sand, get a stick of 2-3" PVC pipe and a big funnel, this will help with dust! And I'd remove 1/3rd of your bed and replace with sand at the same time! Other wise your rock work may fall and this allows for the new sand to colonize with bacteria!

The best way would be to get a lot of rubber totes, put your livestock and water in, empty the tank, put sand in and refill! Should be able to do that in under an hour!

good luck

7. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Live sand is not a waste of money IMO. I've used it. It does have beneficial bacteria in it and it does help to seed rock like the dry Pukani. Which I have also. No different then buying bacteria in a bottle :)

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

yeah but this is on a 6 month old reef with well established LR! Seems silly to spend the extra cash on partially live sand! IMO ;)

10. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

I wouldn't use live sand either, wash that sand really really good. I wouldn't go with that fine of sand myself because if you use powerheads it limits where you can point them a little more. Just wash the sand really, really good. That would help alot.

11. rglewis

rglewis Flamingo Tongue

I wouldnt change the substrate if i were you. Anytime you disrupt the system, you are taking a chance. I removed just 5 pounds of miracle mud from my CPR Aquafuge last week due to some hydrogen sulfide spots, got a bacteria bloom that will not clear up, and tested positive for ammonia yesterday. My fish are not happy, and im glad i havent started stocking with coral yet. My system is around 4 months old. This is just my experience with removing substrate. You could do it and be fine. But you never know whats going to happen.

12. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Your tank will go through a mini cycle regardless.

If the crushed coral has been in there for 6 months then it has a lot of beneficial bacteria and millions of little critters living in it. If you remove that(a big part of your filter) you will be changing the system, if you wait four weeks to add new sand in then your dry sand which has no bacteria will take some time to cycle.
    I have found whenever you add a piece of biological filter it will cause a mini cycle allowing that filter to colonize and adjust to your tanks parameters.

I'm also agree to use live sand, it already has a head start on the dry stuff and your tank is up and going, Not just beginning. Any time and amount of cycle that can be reduced will only be easier on your system. Around me dry sand is 40 bucks for a 40lb bag. live is 49.99. So id pay the extra ten bucks for it to save some time.