Will GHA go away on its own?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by clarky2120, Nov 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

thanks Takitaj

Yes its been my experience that often it looks like its going
    it seems to be on the way out, but just hangs about for ages
    until you take positive steps and assist it in leaving

but enough about my mother in law
    lets go back to talking about algae

Steve

2. Click Here!

3. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

:lol: :thumb_up:

4. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

LOL - nice Steve :)

My tank is now on the third month with a reading of under 5ppm nitrogen (1 and 2ppm)
    These are the things that I have done over the last month to combat the gha.
    Water changes with ro water
    added a collector urchin (who is mowing through the stuff like crazy and a poop machine)
    Cleaning 2 or 3 rocks with a toothbrush
    Last week added a lawnmower Blemmy
    (started with cheto in the refugium)
    the gha is not growing back were it's eaten or cleaned off.
    OH also have 5 asteara snails and 2 blue legged hermit crabs.

It seems to be working but taking some time - I do find the heavy area's hold lots of crud - so before I do a water change I blow stuff off with a turkey baster.

Now if I could just be totally rid of the blue/green algae - I would be totally happy :)

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I disagree with this sentiment.

You can't do better than fixing the problem. You can't super duper fix it...

IME, for example, when the lights get old (i find T5's only last about 7-8months for me) I get GHA outbreak (it's kind of small outbreak). I change the lights and about 3 months later not a spec of GHA left. It starts shrinking within a month.

My emerald crab does a good job of disconnecting the dying GHA from the rock.

If you have a good CuC and the GHA is dying off bc you fixed the problem, then the tank can take care of itself.

This has nothing to do with if it is sightly or not. GHA is ugly. If you want it out instantly, you'll have to manually remove it, whether or not the problem is fixed.

But, to stress, if the source is fixed, then there is nothing more to worry about beyond aesthetics.