Will GHA go away on its own?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by clarky2120, Nov 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

OK, had a little breakout of GHA.

Hypothetically if I fix the problem that created GHA, meaning new GHA isn't growing, but the old stuff isnt dead. Will it just die on it's own or will I have to go in a clean up what is left?

Is GHA like a Diatoms where it eventually just starves itself out and reduces on it's own?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

you need to do better then fix the problem you need to go on the offensive, refugiums cleanup crews, the works.

4. clarky2120

Yes this is all hypothetical.

Lets say I found the problem. It was old bulbs. I replaced the bulbs, have a CUC and put a large chunk of chaeto in my fuge. Will the GHA eventually die off on its own or will I have to manually do something about what is on the rock right now?

5. Takitaj

Takitaj Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hypothetically ;)
    You should remove as much as possible to remove the excess nutrients the GHA has absorbed. Otherwise when (if) it dies it doesn't release it back into the tank. Along with the offensive actions sostoudt mentioned.

6. clarky2120

Of course hypothetically ;D

Did I mention im asking this question for a friend. ;D

If I rip it from the rocks the stuff just floats around the tank. That can't be good either.

Its hypothetical because Im not sure if I found the problem. I've been going through the most common things that could have caused this. I just figured if I found the problem would this garbage just go away on its own

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Clarky

it can do, but Algaes are designed to be good at being the 1st to the meal table
    meaning they often get the nutrients that the Macro's or the chemical media you add are designed to remove

hence even in a tank with Chaeto, running GFO , you can still have algae, (although its often not the menace it might have been had you not had the other 2 players in the game)

I would support the work of the CUC and Chaeto, by manually removing what you can

take the competition out of the game , allowing your Chaeto to extract the nutrients the missing algae no longer get.

Chaeto, CUC, GFO - are all better preventative measures than they are cures

run them on a algae free tank, and you should maintain that status
    add them as part of a solution to an algae issue, and its not instant success IME

Manual removal, is an important part of getting rid of an algae problem IMO

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

well if you had a hypothetical friend who hypothetically had a hypothetical situation with the hypothetical problem of having a green hair algae out break, I would hypothetically advise him to remove the algae while limiting the available nutrients it needs to grow back, hypothetically of course..

10. clarky2120

perfect. I will tell him or her to do this and that.

How would one go about removing it from the rocks manually? Just rip it with fingers? Tweezers?
    The rock being removed from the tank would be a very last resort as it is all pretty much stuck together for the safety of the fish/coral and those bonds would have to be broken.

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I guess you, I mean your hypothetical friend could use tweezers or but I was thinking of some kind of clean up crew like a sea hare

12. Takitaj

Takitaj Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

If it were me...intead of tweezers, hypothetically of course, but I would just rip it out the major portion of it with my hands and scoop whatever is floating around out with a net. Then maybe go in with tweezers to get what's left.

And wow, well stated Steve!