Will FW algae hurt??

Discussion in 'Algae' started by bmshehan, Mar 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I get my RO water from a friend, we split the cost of filters in exchange for the water. When I went to fill my jugs a peice of algae came out of the siphon hose into my jug. If I use this water for topoff, can the "freshwater algae" survive in my tank?? It is in one big chunk, so I can make sure the algae itself doesn't make it in the tank, but should I dump this water to be on the safe side?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

I'm certain anything from the algae will die off, but i'd hang tight until some of the pros chime in.
    Evan.

4. bmshehan

Lots of people on, so *bump*!!

Any ideas/comments???

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

You mean he had algae growing in his RO water containers??

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Don't know if this will help, but I used a old freshwater hob filter, I'm sure it had some algae growth even after rinsing it and cleaning it really good. I haven't seen any ill effects in my tank....

7. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

no and you wouldnt want anyway
    yup, and find a different water source. if the water is growing algae, theres a problem. also clean out the siphon hose it might need it, never know if the algae came from the hose.

8. Click Here!

9. bmshehan

The water had been sitting in a trash can with no circulation, and the siphon hose was in the bottom. Think it might have just built up in the hose over time? It was definitely in the hose, it came out right away. We have since added a powerhead to keep some circulation in there. I will dump the water, no since in taking chances.

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

i dont let my water sit, as soon as its mixed it goes in. if i ever do a water change, cant remember the last time.

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

That would scare me a bit because there is no light down there in the basement. Better safe then sorry like RG said.

You don't have any emergency water ready?

12. bmshehan

So why would it be growing algae?? :confused: Not trying to sound like a smarta#$, I just am ignorant when it comes to this I guess! Act like I'm a 2nd grader then explain it!!;D