will coralline grown under just actinics?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Dasco, Mar 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yes :) In fact, it will grow better under actinics than it would under "daylight" bulbs.

2. Click Here!

3. reef84

reef84 Feather Duster

yes it grows better under just actinics

4. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

coralline don't have a need for much light, in fact water parameters do "fact"
    and if you are cycling now, that could take quite some time.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Its the best light to grow it under but it has to be true 420nm not the purple 460 many new guys like to use.. Thats about a total waste of glass and gas the 460nm purple lamps.. Coralline always starts out low in the tank where the shadows are..I myself would not think about adding a coral or another fish other then the cycle fish until I see coralline growth its the best barometer of a new tanks health and readiness for a more demanding life form .

6. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

y is it that when i see 420nm it looks soo purple, I run 460nm and it looks way more blue then the 420, Why is this tangster, you say 420 is bluer, almost every time is a a 420nm bulb it looks girly purple

7. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Coraline seems to like dim light. Ever since upgrading from PCs to T5s my coraline has lightened considerably. I found that coraline seems to also enjoy next to no light. If I move a rock off of another rock it is inevitably completely purple where the rock was blocking the light.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

460 is the purple looking stuff and again spectrum run the gamete from manufacturer to manufacturer a 100% Blue Spectrum lamp Peaks at 420NM this is why I would only us a UVL lamp over any others they use the best earth phosphors going and always a true solid color bulbs But with a true actinic 420 nm is blue not purple that is a cheap bulb or labeled wrong thats 460 really. I totally see no need for that one ..

10. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

ok thanx tangster. my fixture came with 460 nm and they do look very very blue, but thanx for the info. maybe my bulbs are cheap and labled wrong?