Will Chaeto survive?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by DanaJ104, Dec 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DanaJ104

DanaJ104 Plankton

I recently put my 75 gal reef tank back up after a few years and it is mid cycle. Ammonia is down now but nitrites are still elevated and nitrates are off the charts high. I need to make a trip to get some water from my lfs but its about 40 mins away(I am planning on my own RO/DI unit soon). I was hoping to be able to get some chaeto for my refugium while I'm there but I wasn't sure if these levels might kill it. I know it consumes nitrate but mine is sooo high. I don't want to interrupt the cycle by changing water before nitrites drop and the lfs is only open Fri sat and sun so I was going to get the water to have it on hand. If I can I'd like to avoid a second trip for a $10 bag of macroalgae.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

It's $10, probably worth the try just to save the gas, but I'd guess it'll thrive!

4. Martinez

Martinez Plankton

It is interesting that chaeto will grow like a weed for some people, then for me it continually dies... What I learned is that the right light is of utmost importance...for photosynthesis to work well, light in the 6500k range in important...all of the "refugium" lights I purchased in the past have not encouraged the chaeto. Once I purchased a simple clip on, metal shaded light fixture and a 75 watt 6500 k flood light, placed this on a timer to run 12 hours a day, the cheato took off and in the last 4 months has increased 10 fold in size. If it keeps this up, I'll soon be listing some for sale...