Will Chaeto out compete hair algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by chumslickjon, Nov 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

I've got a little bit of hair algae in my display, and recently added chaeto to my sump\fuge. I don't really notice the chaeto growing much. I test 0 for nitrates, I guess I should get a phosphate test kit too.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I have found my chaeto doesn't grow too fast either, it should help. If you have phosphates in the rock then the GHA will thrive off of that IME.

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Your Chaetomorpha is not likely to grow or grow very slowly. Turf algaes are much more efficient at nutrient gathering (and they are also right near the source of the nutrients and not in a separate tank).

If you first get rid of your hair algae, then the chaetomorpha can prevent hair algae from coming back.

5. ynzheng

ynzheng Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

get a yellow tang or algae blenny.... GHA gone in 2 days...

6. vegastyle

vegastyle Astrea Snail

I got a sea hare last week that is doing a good job on the lower rocks. haven'y seen it climb to the upper rocks yet.

7. chumslickjon

It's a 29 gallon tank and I already have a yellow tail blennie.

8. Click Here!

9. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

That is what happened with me - I added a collector urchin that is mowing through the algae and the cheto is slowing down the recurrence ;)

10. johntekin

johntekin Fire Worm

I swear by BRS GFO. I have no GHA problems thanks to it! May want to check it out...

11. chumslickjon

I think the problem is that I stopped using chemi-pure and carbon for a little while because I ran low on cash. Stupid of me. So I just went out and bought some carbon and chemipure elite, also got 4 emerald crabs, some more necarius snails, some turbos and a halloween hermit (store only had one left). I don't have an outbreak of GHA, but would rather prevent an outbreak. Would it be safe to say that once this GHA is out of the picture, the chaeto will grow better? I was even thinking about using a brush to get rid of the hair and hope the cheato will prevent it from coming back.

12. johntekin

johntekin Fire Worm

4 emerald crabs in a 29 gallon! That should do the trick...those emerald cabs will get rather big (and hungry) for a 29 gallon. Watch your fish, mine kept getting hungry and like to eat expensive fish so I got rid of him.