Will all of my fish die or should I be fine??

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by CMC53, Mar 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wallstdrifter

wallstdrifter Flamingo Tongue

You'll need this design:

Kent Marine Full Size Hi-S TFC RO (Reverse Osmosis) Filter - 60 GPD (Clear)

Kent is built extra solid parts and a fantastic membrane. Problem is you'll need about 60 psi water pressure.

Also add to your order a membrane flush kit and a two sensor in-line TDS meter.

TDS is tricky, records solids only. Many chemicals slip by undetected (like phosphate.) TDS readings tell you about unknown solids only, which may give you some idea of the functionality of the system.

To battle phosphate you'll also need a Hanna ultra low range phosphate colorometer (to see were you're at.)

Do not buy into DI resin, expires fast, very un-economical. You're better off buying a pressure booster in the long run.:eek:

2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I wish people would not crosspost these threads. This was hashed out yesterday in great detail in another thread.

Kent RO/DI systems are mediocre at best and extremely overpriced. Stick with someone who does water treatment as their main source of income if you expect to get aq system worth its salt. (pun intended) Kent was OK at one time but over the years everything they sell, including chemicals and everything else is just average and sometimes less than average, they are a casualty of big business.

There are many many vendors who deal in reef quality RO/DI systems that actually give you bang for your buck including Spectrapure, Buckeye Field Supply and PurelyH2o among others. This is what they do and they rely on customer satisfaction unlike a company that dabbles in who knows what all.

To top that off, a 60 GPD membrane is too little for sure, a flush kit is a total waste of money and has no documented proven value and an inline TDS meter is like a litmus paper test,close but no cigar. A handheld will walk circles around an inline any day of the week and is so much more versatile since it can be used portable.

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Honestly you are just confusing even me. How is GFO outdated for one? Just curious is all. That paragraph made no since to me at all. Also, that Kent RO model is way to much when you can get a quality built spectrapure refurbished unit for $120. The spectrapure unit will blow that kent unit out of the water with no problems at all.

Edit: The salt you are using is just fine. I don't know how it can be said that it will cause algae growth at all. It is one of the best rated salts out there according to some studies actually. I've never heard of the salt mentioned above.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  5. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Now that people have throttled back, I guess its time to make some useful posts.

First up we dont know the guys background, so lets not make assumptions. He has a 240g, ok. That dont mean he got money. There is one for sale here locally for $350. I buy that it means I blew a couple months savings. Doesnt mean I am rich. It also means like some we have seen here people jump into the hobby and sink every single penny they have into it then find they are short something or need something, and the supporting funds are already gone. So saying oh he got money isnt proof or a rule. Bottom line is the background here is something between his bank & him so back up off it.

next if you got it use it. If you got an RODI unit buy a sink screw on adapter, I think they can be found on ebay for like $10. Along with this RODI is nice but it isnt show stopper, or a death sentence. I am sorry but those of you that think it is are straight wrong. You dont know the water quality in his area. The entire planet isnt a poluted death sentence and alot of places are just fine. We had a lion tank when I was young for like 8 years till it was sold off, and that was sink water.

Next up GFO, GFO is a cheap and easy solution. Who cares if it 'outdated' its easy to comeby, and it lets face it, it works. Just cause there is something later and greater doesnt mean this is useless tech. Like I said abot maybe the guy is on a limited budget, bet a HoB with a bag of GFO will work fine and can be pennies on the dollar compared to snappy adapters, reactors, biosupertron pellets.

Follow that up. Salt. Not everyone needs 16 part high dollar salt. This hobby thrived for many years in the past on products that made IO look like pureified saltwater from the ocean in heaven. Saying your pro (or someone else isnt) cause you use some sexy high dollar salt impresses me about as much as post count, or those who post remarks on thread count. He said it was a FOWLR right? So having super sexy salt doesnt make it a show stopper.

Now having said all that. Lets start back at the beginning can you relist us everything you can about your tank please. Size, lights, water params, stocking (at the beginning and now), feeding quantity and types of food, filtration, and anything and everything else that is as detailed as possible about your tank. Hell a couple pictures might even be a good idea.

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I completely agree here. Can we get this down to just one thread as well. It is getting pretty confusing, and all we want to do is help you out.

7. wallstdrifter

Paragraph
    1. IMO yours is the crosspost.

2. Kent has a very thick angle iron base and the famos "HI-S" membrane stopping 99.5% phospates, silicates, and most others. All other membranes I've seen are at 95% filtration. They are a little pricey but great for a beginner who can't yet sift through the B$.

3. Flush kit has no documented value? A flush kit is everything. The inline TDS let's you know when to flush. The flush knocks the TDS reading back to ZERO. By the way, what percentage silicates does your membrane reject? Can you even answer that?

4. Yeah, there are other r/o systems but when you consider the cost of the Kent HI-S membrane (about $115.00) (membrane is of completely different and superior material than yours) the Kent 60 gpd becomes such a deal. 60 gpd is plenty flow depending on the size of your product reservoir (w/float switch.):book2:

8. Click Here!

9. wallstdrifter

This is case in point of the chasm between I.Q. and Intelligence. I.Q reverts to numbers and intelligence reverts to problem solving.:jester:

Don't forget to support our sponsors when possible.

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I can tell you are very new at this and have lots to learn. Not bashing but fact.
    At 41 posts you have much catching up to do. This thread is in the toilet and needs to be stopped here as it contains little constructive information.

Read some of my 20,000 or so posts on RO/DI over the last 15 years on all of the reef forums then get back to us. I think with 37 years in the industry I know at least a little bit on the subject. Kent isn't even a player in the market today and has maybe 2% of the market share, and thats only going on its name and not quality or performance.

And by the way, my 90 GPD SpectraSelect hand tested and guaranteed in writing membrane is returning a 99.43% rejection rate in 650+ TDS water after 4 years of heavy use. Not bad for a membrane you can get on sale for $40 here:
    Untitled Document

25+ years and tens of thousands of happy customers can't be wrong.

1 person likes this.
  11. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

I think this is Alex on another account just messing with people....

12. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Lolol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.