Will adding more sand to established tank produce ick?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Lilcuty18, Oct 2, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lilcuty18

Lilcuty18 Plankton

Hi there. This is my frist fish forum and I'm glad to be here. I currentlyt have a 90 gallon fish tank up and running for about 7 months. I decided to replace the sand i had before for Carib Sea black and white sand for aesthetic purposes. I checked my water parameters and it was fine. the 3 tangs that i recently bought got ick within 24 hours. i was wondering if adding 40 pounds of live sand could have stressed them out or if i added too much at the same time? thanks for all your help

Paula

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef Paula!!!

Adding sand will not cause ich. You might have stressed them a bit making them more suceptible to ich but it cannot cause it. Ich is a parasite that goes through various phases. It is either in one of those phases in your tank or it isn't.

[​IMG]

More info is here. http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

The sand might cause a small spike in ammonia, which may cause some stress which could lead to ich. I wouldn't worry though if you have an established system.

5. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp