Will a filter sock catch flatworms?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by xxredxpandaxx, Apr 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xxredxpandaxx

xxredxpandaxx Coral Banded Shrimp

Im setting up a new tank and in the one I have already set up I have brown flatworms. I want to use some water from that tank to start the other one I'm setting up and I was wondering if a filter sock will catch all the flatworms, if I suck any up. I think the one I have is 5 microns.

2. Click Here!

3. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

It should be small enuff, however, using "used" water won't do anything at all in terms of your cycle, and guess what? You do run the risk of adding pollutants, flatworms and anything else the old tank has in it to your tank.

The water column in your tank is actually fairly free of bacteria, and certainly doesn't contain the nitrifying species you're trying to cultivate, which are benthic/demersal critters.

Bite the bullet and mix some water up...that's your best bet.

4. xxredxpandaxx

xxredxpandaxx Coral Banded Shrimp

Mixing the water doesn't bother me but I have always read that using pre-established water or a live rock aids in getting the tank started. so instead of using a live rock from my tank I was going to use water.

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

It won't do anything lol. If you want to help the cycle alone by some Dr. Tims if you think that will help. (I'm dubious)

6. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

Just cycle it by putting food in the tank like you would if the fish were in it. But if you're adding the fish from the other tank, odds are you'll transfer most of the bads when you do.

7. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

This is how I've always done it. But the rock and everything I used including water came from the same tank. I didn't have a cycle, and probably won't.

8. Click Here!

9. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Live rock or sand from a pre-established tank helps the new tank. The water does almost nothing and is not needed.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

There may not be bacteria in the water column, but I certainly would use pr-established water (if available) when starting my cycle. The chemistry is pretty stable.

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

+1^^^ I've always used water from an established system when setting up new systems....at least some of it.

12. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

How is that any different from properly made up saltwater?