Wild Zoas

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Damsels R Cool, May 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. samsdb0

samsdb0 Bristle Worm

what if you collect, grow, then frag for sale? obviously i have no idea since im in the dirty jerz

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

They are probably better off in his tank than in the water if they dont soon fix that stupid oil leak!

4. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

Aquaculture licensed facilities have complex broodstock rules, but there are instances where they can collect for growing and then future sale. Adult specimens don't count though, so you would need to obtain the zoas/fish etc.. through a legal commercial channel, recreational collected anything on the restricted species list cannot be later used for a commercial (trade etc..) purpose, even a broodstock purpose. Eggs are fine though with an aquauculture license, with the proper permits in limited circumstances.

5. johnmaloney

agreed!

6. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

John;

who would be mad, you could be saving someone some big bucks. What if they were a gift with no money transaction? This is a real question not being smart!

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

The DNR will. Remember, when you have illegal pets and/or goods as well as someone who has a grudge against you to turn you in. Your talking about heavy fines as well as possible jail time.

8. Click Here!

9. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Think you took my reply wrong. I understand that DNR would be mad. I am was saying none of the 3reefers should be mad. John supplied some very important info which everyone should appreciate.

10. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

I was reading some where that last year fl lost something like 40% of there coral population. Have you seen a decrease in species in your dives?

11. johnmaloney

Well, and I should mention I am not a lawyer, honest gifts dont fall under sale/trade/exchange etc...honest gifts aren't commercial in nature by definition. I don't think anyone would be mad with that, but ask someone who is in charge etc... I don't want anyone in trouble., don't quote me disclaimer etc...

It isnt a moral issue for the state but a resource management issue. What FWC, (DNR in most states), has done in Florida is managed the fishery by limiting the members in it. We have 68 people actively involved full time in the licensed commercial collection side of the aquarium business. Next to those 68 people is 35 million+ tourists who visit the state's waters each year who are $25 away from that same rec license. I think there is like 10 million people next to the water that live here. The reason they limit things like the broodstock example and what not is b/c it is easy to regulate 68 people who have to report to you what they did, how they did it and where each month, but managing 45 million+ who are catching everything from Tarpon to French Angels is difficult. So what they did was the limit the purpose of the collection. I don't think people get mad, I think it is more of a technical thing. They have an amazingly complex job and it gets tougher if the lines blur so they just enforce the ones they have.

But anyway, I didnt mean to derail the topic...

12. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

thanks john

PS awesome Zoas. Wish I had them!!!