Wild snails from beach, safe for tank?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by ksuyen, Dec 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I agree with what others said about identifying and collecting. I don't recognize the snails, neat looking though. With Aussie prices these days, who knows, you may have hit a gold mine :lol:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

Well, like I said it depends on local laws - which includes protection of local habitats. Also, a lot of places don't allow commercial collection but do allow an individual to take some since that isn't a problem for them. Just depends.

4. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Those are both littorinids, which are algae grazers. Either of them will be fine in your tank, but they will tend to hover around or just above the water line, and won't do much grazing down below the water level.

It's legal to collect them in the VAST MAJORITY of locations in the U.S., although many states require a fishing license.

Cheers,

Don

1 person likes this.
  5. benjaminS

benjaminS Astrea Snail

Nice they look cool ship them to me haha j/k might get you in trouble lol

6. ksuyen

ksuyen Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I googled littorinids, that look like what it is. Too bad they love water surface, which makes sense because on the sea, there are millions of them on the rocks just above the sea level. Won't do much in my tank. ::)

But yeah - there are literally millions of them here!