Wild snails from beach, safe for tank?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by ksuyen, Dec 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ksuyen

ksuyen Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hi, can someone ID the snails below? I saw a bunch of them on the rocks at the local beach. Are they turbo snails? Will they be safe in my tank?

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

generally a bad and sometimes illegal idea to take stuff from the ocean and put in your tank. I'd at least QT them

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

5. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

They aren't turbos. It would depend on local laws on if it's illegal, unless it's listed as an endangered species - which I doubt. They could bring some bad stuff into the tank, but then again so could most of the snails at a store since they are wild caught too.

6. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

+1000

7. ksuyen

Hi all, thanks for the replies, which is exactly why I came here first before I put them into the tank. Actually, by law there are perfectly legal here to collect shells, snails, fish, and the kind - as long as they are not endangered/exotic animals (such as corals, tropical fishes are not allowed).

Well - looks like they were not turbo snails (safe snails) - I am going to return them back to the beach.

8. Click Here!

9. benjaminS

benjaminS Astrea Snail

well, where are you located =)

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

This is very true; the main difference is that the ones at the store have been identified. OTOH, just because they're not turbos doesn't mean they're not safe. Lots of other algae-grazing snails in the ocean besides turbos.

That would be a bigger issue; even some turbos are collected from more temperate shorelines and are short-lived in our tropical tanks as the stress from elevated temps takes it's toll.

1 person likes this.
  11. ksuyen

Sydney, Australia ;)

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Where something is collected is just as important as what is collected. There are many protected areas (especially in S. Florida ) where collection of anything is illegal regardless of whether its endangered or not.Austrailia as well has these protected areas.IMO if you can't I.D. something it is best to leave it alone.;)

1 person likes this.