Urgent Wild Collected Anemones

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Kaianuanu, Apr 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

You will still need the correct bulbs and ballasts. To get better lights cheaply, buy a retro kit.

What are your exact plans?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

if you dont have much money a large tank like that is not a good idea, sure you get free livestock but equipment is most the cost

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I was just at a reef meeting today where the LFS owner had some Caribbean LR that came in with the same anemones. He was told by the supplier that they were called Sponge Anemone. They sort of looked like big aiptasia, but a little thicker.

Also, shop lights can be used to light a tank, but the T8 bulbs that are available are more limited than the T5's. You can't use the stock bulbs that come with the light. The ballast needs to be overdriven in the same way an Ice Cap would be. You need to wire a ballast that is made for four bulbs and run all of the leads to two bulbs, nearly doubling the light output. There are many articles on the net that explain overdriving.

The problem is, by the time you fiddle around with rewiring ballasts and buying parts, (good reflectors aren't cheap) you are better off looking for a good used T5 fixture. It will be more efficient, and the bulb selection is far superior.

5. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

6. Kaianuanu

Kaianuanu Peppermint Shrimp

i meant use the fixture on legit reef t5 tubes. an i did more research and found thet the big ones are warty rock anemones and are non photosythetc. they are hardy in the aquaroum and do not require any lighting. but the small striped ones are still mysterious
    Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35267; U; en; Presto/2.1.1)

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

If only you didn't still need the proper ballasts.

8. Click Here!

9. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

ya the lights wont work if you do that

10. TheSaltwaterBoy

TheSaltwaterBoy Flamingo Tongue

Yes they are warty sea anemones, not condys. I myself collect stuff from the gulf too and have a separate 35 gallon tank with local stuff only no store bought. I hope they do well for you i have the anemones in different colorations such as blue, green, red, and grey.

11. Kaianuanu

can you show me a pic of the blue? I found a blood red/plum one but it died in transport. :( It was the same type as the small ones. im sure 2 of them are wartys but im not sure about the little ones. I also have a smaller warty too though. the small ones dont retract into a ball though and their base is smooth not warty. here are some better pics, the warties first, then the unkowns that may be sponge anemones. However, that thread says that they are found in very deep water, but at lowest tide they were above water between waves!

Lil warty rock anemone

[​IMG]

same lil warty rock several hours later

[​IMG]

Big warty rock anemone

[​IMG]

Here are the little unidentified anemones

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS: Are these good pics? I took them w/ my phone.

12. Kaianuanu

to view full size you have to right click and select "view image"